What does being chinese mean?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Woodpecker:
    I think it all comes down to is ignorance and lack of exposure to mixed race children, they might think different if they know Tiger Woods is part Chinese, the President of African Union Jean Ping is half Chinese and just recently, New England Patriots drafted a Jaimacan Chinese named Patrick Chung. I hope the girl Lou Jing can overcome bigotry and become successful in life.
    sorry, haven't read the entire thread, but just in case...

Tiger Woods is NOT half Chinese. he's half Thai.

I reckon any pushing of the concept of a 'pure race' is either racist itself, or sewing seeds for the ignorant of the population to be racist.

Last edited by kryzlowski; 30-09-2009 at 06:55 PM.

Gutless Prick
    Came with a red dot... anyone care to explain?

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    Came with a red dot... anyone care to explain?
    >>>>Shri - exactly the kind of thing I was on about in my PMs with you today - encouraging unaccountable cowardice through anonymous attacks, surely this is morally unacceptable!!!

A large number of Thais are ethnic Chinese though. Being Thai and Chinese aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    sorry, haven't read the entire thread, but just in case...

Tiger Woods is NOT half Chinese. he's half Thai.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by Loz_2:
    A large number of Thais are ethnic Chinese though. Being Thai and Chinese aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Posted via Mobile Device
    True. In fact the King of Thailand is actually of Chinese blood.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    Don't forget how long it took the so called Western countries to get where they are now. it wasnt so long ago that apartheid was stil around... in fact, you still get some idiots who still commit racial discrimination in these countries whether in football stadiums, in pubs or on the street.

China is still relatively closed in terms of exposure to other races especially outside of the big cities and they tend to follow some very simple stereotypes. give it time...
    exactly right! every country has gone through (or is still going through) this...in this case, China is unfortunate to be going through it in an age when we can all follow it as it happens, as if its happening to us personally, through the media and share our opinions and pooh-pooh those 'horrible, backwards people"...

good thing we've all moved out of the glass houses i guess

I did not say Tiger wood is half Chinese, I said he is part Chinese - on his mother side.

won't argue with you... but i'm sure there are many Thai that would love to take you on.

His Thai part might be from an ethnically Chinese (or 'East Asian') Thai anyhow