Like Tree1Likes

Woman jailed over illegal maid

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Gazer:
    Miss Tse committed the offence to save money, and her conduct was a form of exploitation of both local and foreign workers. But the magistrate noted she did not break the law for her own financial gain. He also said he believed she was genuinely remorseful,
    Proof that the magistrate is a blithering idiot as saving money does not equal financial gain, but does by his belief equate to remorse.
    God help us.

Attorney General Baroness Scotland Investigated By Immigration Officials | Politics | Sky News

notice how uk judical systems lets politican with a slap on their wrist for the same crime, no wonder, some places in uk are lawless ghettos

I find it strange that Kelly Tse was only guilty of hiring a helper in someone else's name. Surely she's also guilty of hiring a domestic helper for non domestic duties. (I guess all the dogs are registered in her name so it could be argued that they were domestic duties - or maybe you can't be misusing a helper who you shouldn't have been employing in the first place).

What about the friend whose name the contract was in? Wasn't she in trouble too?

I do have sympathy with Kelly Tse as she was trying in a misguided way to find a cost effective way to run her shelter and save some dogs that would otherwise be dead. But this situation does highlight three areas where change is needed:

- Regulation and registration of shelters - no individual should be able to keep 200 dogs without having to comply with some basic standards to ensure that both people's and animal's rights are protected

- Greater regulation of charities (I'm not sure Ms Tse's shelter was a registered charity, but such orgs should be, and HK needs a stronger regulation and governance structure for charities)

- And most of all, greater regulation of pet ownership and the pet trade at the macro level so that individuals like Ms Tse don't end up struggling desparately to deal with the situation at the micro level

I might as well point out that this is totally irrelevant to the original topic, before someone else does!

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

FROM TODAY'S PAPERS

Dog lovers income $4000
    Illegal Maid wages $3400
    Dog lovers new local maid $7000

I think the Dog lover should be locked up for being financially clueless, and to give respite to whoever she is sponging off.

Quote Originally Posted by AIP:
    I find it strange that Kelly Tse was only guilty of hiring a helper in someone else's name. Surely she's also guilty of hiring a domestic helper for non domestic duties. (I guess all the dogs are registered in her name so it could be argued that they were domestic duties - or maybe you can't be misusing a helper who you shouldn't have been employing in the first place).

What about the friend whose name the contract was in? Wasn't she in trouble too?
    There is frequently a lot of plea bargaining in such cases. Usually suspects are released on bail pending enquiries and several meetings between immigration and the suspected party(ies) take place. Bail is normally given only for periods of 7 days so has to be renewed by way of visits to Immigration at Skyline Tower in Kowloon. In complicated cases it may take Immigration longer than usual to make their enquiries. The prosecuting lawyers who work for Immigration and the defence lawyers who work for the accused all know each other and plea bargaining can take place at interim meetings and often Immigration will agree to drop some of the charges if the accused agrees to plead guilty to another charge.

Magistrates are notoriously inconsistent in sentencing and lawyers know which magistrates are the 'softies' and 'hardliners'.

Quote Originally Posted by kombuchakid:
    What I dont get is why the difference in punishment for the same crime.
    The mainland hirer and hiree both get jail
    while the dog lover gets community service and prsumably got sent home.
    To be fair, it wasn't the same crime. The first case was an illegal immmigrant who shouldn't have been working in HK at all. In the second case the helper was legally entitled to work in HK but the type of work and place of work breached the conditions of stay, which I guess is a lesser offence.