Laying cable at night?

Closed Thread

Laying cable at night?

I've got a mystery for you all:

Can anyone come up with a rational explanation for why there are five workers in my street right now (just before midnight) pulling up manhole covers and laying cable?

This is the second time this week they've done it - the last time was at 4.30am on Saturday morning when they woke the whole building up with their noise.

I'm not savvy enough to tell if it's electric or tv cable or something else that's being put in, but I do know that it's loud, it involves shouting and throwing items at each other, it involves throwing metal manhole covers onto the ground and a lot of opening and slamming of the van doors.

The workers are in a plain black van and they don't look very professional (knee length floral shorts, black wellies).

The road is fairly quiet and wide enough for them to block off what they need during the daytime without stopping traffic.

I'm in my pyjamas and I'm not getting dressed and going out there to deal with their pretence that they don't understand English and can't see why there's a problem.

Any ideas?

Ask to see their permit for the work. If they can't show one then call the police. I can't see what else you can do really.

And ask about their immigration status!

Its normal,as the people do this at night time. Water pipe bursts near my home or some underground cable problems have been fixed at odd hours during the night.
    If my building doesn't, have water due to pipeline burst, i wish to have it fixed as soon(don't mind getting disturbed by the sound).
    Not sure if there is any regulations regarding the public works and noise level?

Last edited by shafiq; 15-10-2009 at 01:07 AM.

Emergency work I can totally understand, but this was laying cabling of some sort.