Platonic friends - who pays?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by ig.consulting:
    if it is a platonic relationship, what sane guy would bother meeting the girl in the first place!!!
    you can always use one girl to make another jealous... and girls are just as bad as guys in wanting what they can't have

if it is a platonic relationship, what sane guy would bother meeting the girl in the first place!!!

As friends????

Quote Originally Posted by ig.consulting:
    Me....because some are very good friends that never in a million years would I dream of thinking about them in any but a platonic way

I beg to differ on those comments that states that local girl always expect you to pay.

I have dine in several occasion with local girls (some friends, some at the very early stages of friendship) and they did invite me...

Personally, I believe in equal opportunity. Whether it's a date or not, it should be shared one way or another unless one has announced a treat. I don't mind picking up the bill but if the person makes no effort or move at splitting, that'll be the last meal they ever get from me.

And I agree with Mat, I've been treated plenty of time by local ladies.

Last edited by gilleshk; 19-10-2009 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shilo507:
    It's been my experience in HK that the guy always pays the bill whether it's helpers on a Sunday or well-heeled HK girls with good jobs.

I don't mind paying for helpers but after one HK girl invited me at short notice for dinner and said to me 'thanks for the treat' and led me by the hand to the cashier to pay I decided to rethink my strategy and now no longer date local girls.

Other HK girls were not so blatant but in every case I ended up paying the bill. Not that I mind (I sort of expect it) but if the girl did at least offer to go Dutch I would be impressed (but still pay the bill anyway).
    In that case I'm sorry to say that it's your choice of HK girls that is to blame, and not the inherent nature of all HK girls. I know plenty who would not only insist on going dutch after a "platonic" dinner, but also on a date. I am not local but I've always treated my men (and male friends, although less often) to dinners and many other things.