DBS refusing to remove a fraudulent charge

Thumbs down DBS refusing to remove a fraudulent charge

Hi,

I ordered a laptop computer for $15,000 and the seller never shipped it to me. The charge was placed on my credit card.

In the US if there was ever a fraudulent transaction, the credit card company would remove it without any problems and initiate a chargeback.

Unfortunately it seems things are done differently in Hong Kong. DBS is refusing to remove the charge and initiate the chargeback. They are telling me to talk with the merchant, but the merchant is blowing me off!!

All I am getting from the stupid reps at DBS is "Sorry, can not remove" as if it's totally out of their power to do so. What can I do to resolve this?

Edit: To clarify this is a Visa DBS card. All all Visa credit cards bound by the Visa regulations when it comes to chargebacks?

The rules here are pretty much the same as everywhere. Put it in writing to DBS, refuse to pay and ask them to charge it back. It is clearly within their power to do so. Escalate if necessary.

What do you mean by "the merchant is blowing me off"? Are they claiming to have sent the laptop or claiming not to have made the charge? Where is the merchant based?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax
    All well and good, but see note 2:

"DBS Bank (Hong Kong) Limited reserves right of final decision in all matters relating to these services."

It's their get out.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

But DBS says it will look into it first, which it hasn't done by the sound of it.

... call our "24-hour Customer Service Hotline" on 2290 8888 and the item will be immediately removed from your statement. You are not required to make any payment for the doubtful item until an investigation is conducted.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax
    But DBS says it will look into it first, which it hasn't done by the sound of it.
    Point taken. There is not much info on the DBS site, but I think this is to do with doubtful transactions, i.e. ones which you don't think have happened (for example when your card has been cloned / swiped and used by someone else).

In the OP's case, the situation is slightly different, as he had contracted with the vendor, but the vendor has failed to deliver.

KIA's post in relation to the Oasis liquidation may be of help:

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/post207838-111.html
    Last edited by pin; 20-10-2009 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    What do you mean by "the merchant is blowing me off"? Are they claiming to have sent the laptop or claiming not to have made the charge? Where is the merchant based?
    They're just flat out ignoring me. I have no tracking number or anything.

If the normal procedure there is to send the package insured by regular post or by private courier, then you would have had to sign for it when it was delivered.

If you do not have a receipt from the delivery service, then they do not have your signature on their copy. That would seem to constitute proof you never received the package.

Hi,

Any updates?
    Posted via Mobile Device

who is this seller you are refering to?