Anyone eaten at Magnolia in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #1

    Anyone eaten at Magnolia in Hong Kong?

    I recently came across Magnolia (which seems like one of the only joints serving Southern American/Cajun/Creole food in HK) from a suggestion here on geoexpat. I read the Zagat's review here (seems somewhat mixed but also outdated - mainly all from 2007):

    Magnolia - Hong Kong Restaurants - Sheung Wan - Zagat Survey

    They have no listing on Openrice. Anyone been there? What was your experience like? Although I'm not from the South I'm really craving some good southern fried chicken/BBQ ribs/gumbo. Help!


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,451

    Yup went there earlier this year, Very good indeed and also go as a larger group if you can, Its more suited for birthday gatherings etc as opposed to a romantic dinner for two.
    Posted via Mobile Device


  3. #3

    Was planning to go with a crew of 6-10 people. Won't be a romantic thing. So drooling over their takeout menu of fried chicken & BBQ ribs. Can't wait to hear some more reviews!


  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Yup went there earlier this year, Very good indeed and also go as a larger group if you can, Its more suited for birthday gatherings etc as opposed to a romantic dinner for two.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I'm gonna charge you royalty for that comment Jimbo!!!

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    399

    It's proper, but it isn't actually good. If you can't make Louisianian food yourself (or don't know what it's actually supposed to taste like), then it's a decent meal. Presentation is very home-style.

    Still better than most of what one would find in Hong Kong as it's Louisiana food. But homegirl apparently does not make gumbo zjerbes, not even for Lent.


  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokuto:
    It's proper, but it isn't actually good. If you can't make Louisianian food yourself (or don't know what it's actually supposed to taste like), then it's a decent meal. Presentation is very home-style.

    Still better than most of what one would find in Hong Kong as it's Louisiana food. But homegirl apparently does not make gumbo zjerbes, not even for Lent.
    Ouch! Scathing, but softened a little by talking about how mediocre it is. Still might be a cool place to take people, especially if they don't know where you're taking them!
    Last edited by jayinhongkong; 23-10-2009 at 01:00 AM.

  7. #7

    @ Jay/Hokuto: So..you both think it sucks? When I hear people tell me that a restaurant is only mediocre if you have never tasted the cuisine that is like one of the worst comments a restaurant could have. So does it mean with someone who is familiar with Southern/Cajun food they will think the food is an abomination of the cuisine?

    @Jimbo/Scotchdrinker: You guys had Southern/Cajun food before?


  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokuto:
    It's proper, but it isn't actually good. If you can't make Louisianian food yourself (or don't know what it's actually supposed to taste like), then it's a decent meal. Presentation is very home-style.

    Still better than most of what one would find in Hong Kong as it's Louisiana food. But homegirl apparently does not make gumbo zjerbes, not even for Lent.
    Thats the whole point, Private Kitchens are generally meant to be home style food not 2 star michelin.

    ps its Gumbo Zerbes not Zjerbes.

    Ken, Yes I have back in the UK and that was shockingly bad. This is way better.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,801

    Haven't been there, but I have tried a few Creole dishes, although I suspect they weren't as good as they could have been either (even though I was in Louisiana). Haven't tried Magnolia, but since a good dining experience in HK is so hard to find, I'm already a bit cynical.


  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,451
    Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    Haven't tried Magnolia, but since a good dining experience in HK is so hard to find, I'm already a bit cynical.
    Plenty of good dining experiences out here in HK though!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast