Like Tree33Likes

Jaywalking

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by audiot:
    those lights should totally advisory for ped;s - we are able to turn our heads and check clearly as we are moving at a snails pace
    The problem if they were advisory is far far too many people just step out without turning their heads or even looking up from their phone screen.
    Natfixit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    I got one of these asking me to appear in Magistrate's Court in Sai Wan Ho or to exercise the option to plead guilty by letter, listing any mitigating circumstances.

Does this mean there will now be a conviction on my record in Hong Kong?
    Pax, can you elaborate on the situation?

I got a warning by a cop for jaywalking last year in across Lai Chi Kok Rd, in Sham Shui Po. I argued that there were absolutely no cars coming , but there were too many people waiting on the traffic island to safely wait. I mean, there were people virtually on the road already. Cop took my ID details down and I haven't heard since. However, having never been in trouble with the law, it kind of shook me a bit.

actually a co-worker told me yesterday that they call them "coffee" boy because of the color of their uniforms. yeah, they give out tickets.

regular police seems to be okay. one time we were waiting at a red light with no car passing. the two cops standing on the otherside waved us cross the red light.

There seems to be a little gang of them who lurk around in a small area of Central (between QRC and Des Voeux with M&S and Top Shop at each end of their "patch"). They really irritate me. I've been told off by one of them for crossing when the green light was flashing and I admit that I now hold a grudge (he waved his finger in my face which did NOT go down well). I see them pretty much every day lurking and chatting with no sign of any actual police work happening. I presume handing out fines is easy money for them. It makes me angry just thinking about them. I think they're pathetic.

interestin article on jaywalking - as normal blame american lobbyists

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26073797

Ha, I've been here 8 months and had no idea it was illegal. The lights are so slow and the wall of people crossing so huge that I just stroll across, sometimes right past groups of cops. I'm not waitin for the green man thanks, I'm perfectly capable of crossing a street.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Does anyone know any countries where crossing at a red man ISN'T illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Maybe where it is enforced would be a better question. I have never ever seen anyone pulled up for jaywalking on a street empty of cars.

Except here in Hong Kong, where I have seen it several times, latest being last week in Wan Chai. And I'm not talking about idiots playing chicken with on-coming traffic, but genuinely empty streets except for the masses milling at the road edge.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Maybe where it is enforced would be a better question. I have never ever seen anyone pulled up for jaywalking on a street empty of cars.

Except here in Hong Kong, where I have seen it several times, latest being last week in Wan Chai. And I'm not talking about idiots playing chicken with on-coming traffic, but genuinely empty streets except for the masses milling at the road edge.
    I know someone who was fined $1500 for jaywalking recently, despite there being no oncoming traffic. He was furious.

And it's only the other week that I was told off (complete with finger wagging in my face) for crossing when the green man had ALMOST finished flashing...with no oncoming traffic. And yes I'm still bitter.

Both incidents were in Central.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Not illegal in England, Denmark and Sweden...

It's illegal in Beijing and I remember the law being introduced in Perth, Australia...

I would guess it's not illegal in most countries!

*edit* Motorways are normally a legal no go zone for pedestrians but most civilised countries work on the basis that pedestrians always have right of way...as it should be.
    Last edited by INXS; 12-02-2014 at 01:11 PM.
    scrambler likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast