Like Tree33Likes

Jaywalking

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Jaywalking

Hi guys,

My mother in law just got stopped crossing a road when the light was red by some guy in a yellow uniform. He demanded to see her ID card and told her that they were going to send her a fine.

Anyone seen this happen before? Any idea if it's legit or a scam?

If caught jay-walking, you may be let off with a warning but I guess that would depend on the nature of the offence. If a bus had to screech to a halt or plough into a group of pedestrians to avoid hitting her, I think a fine ($15 -$20*) would be imposed on the offender.

Not sure about the uniform. Sounds like auxiliary police, but I thought they wore ovaltine beige.

* Not a factual figure. To be taken as a shot at the justice system in Hong Kong for their leniency towards major offenders of serious violations/crimes.

If you mean like this:

Then yes, they are traffic wardens and it is legit (I can't see how a ticket sent through the mail would be a scam).

Titus likes this.

PDLM,

Are they the same as auxiliary police or is that a different unit/uniform?

That's different. Auxiliary police look essentially the same as normal police, but they have slightly different insignia (I think the numbers on their shoulder start with A).

Traffic Wardens have the power to enforce traffic regulations and impose fixed penalties, including the right to demand your name and address. They do not have the power of arrest or the right to search you. Auxiliary police have all the power of normal police I believe.

Last edited by PDLM; 04-11-2009 at 09:21 PM.

...PDLM....is that not a photo from the Chinese Village People tribute act auditions...?

Jaywalking in Hong Kong is illegal sometimes in Hong Kong. (Based off the Police officer who is at the light)

The traffic Wardens are under HK Police Force Traffic Brach Headquarters and they are empowered to enforce all traffic related laws and regulations, thus they can issue traffic tickets to jaywalkers.

Quote Originally Posted by HKChigger:
    Jaywalking in Hong Kong is illegal sometimes in Hong Kong. (Based off the Police officer who is at the light)
    I find I have to do it though... I don't have the time to fight my way through the pavements so I usually walk in the road. It's quicker!
    Titus likes this.

Sometimes there are literally 20 or 30 people jaywalking at a time at lights in Central. Has anyone ever seen them try to stop everyone? Or do they tend to swoop on th unsuspecting individuals braving it alone?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast