Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By wtbhotia
  • 1 Post By PDLM
  • 1 Post By bookblogger

Security deposit from Landlord

Closed Thread

Security deposit from Landlord

Hi all, please help me.
    I asked property agent to pass the termination letter to my landlord. Actually all the management is done by landlord son, so the agent post it into landlord son's mail box by hand. After moved out, I and the agent try to contact landlord son, but he always say only by sms he is not available, and ask us to contact his father (Landlord's husband). I and agent contacted landlord husband, however, he says he does not the situation, and just ignore me. I explain back to this situation to landlord son, then he asked me to contact his sister but she says she does not know and they (family) did not get the termination letter.
    I have all the sms records exchanged with landlord son, and it proves he got termination letter. But my concern is property agent does not provide the termination letter to the actual landlord by registered mail, and I do not have the copy.
    Does someone have any suggestions what I do? Thanks for any comments in advance.

so who did you hand the keys back to. if the landlord did not come to look at the house for damages, how could you just move out like that.

This is what i keep on telling people and will say it again, best to not pay the last two months rent, this should take care of the deposit.

You will be very lucky to get back your deposit unless you go and sue them. The agents are useless and wont provide much help when it comes to these things, they are only good at the begining. once the deal is done, they dont pretty much care after they have got the commision.

arathi likes this.

Actually I still hold the key. I asked to come to look my flat, but they do not come. Just before move out, I call and send sms, but they do not reply...

Solicitors letter and small claims court summons will get them motivated.
    KEEP A RECORD OF ALL THE TEXT AND THE CALLS YOU MADE + ACTIONS ( TIME DATE ) OF YOUR INTERACTION WITH THE AGENT.

If you have a key. return and take pics of the apartment showing no reason to withhold the deposit.

Last edited by Boris; 07-11-2009 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    best to not pay the last two months rent, this should take care of the deposit.
    But is that legal?

No it isn't.

arathi likes this.

But nor is defrauding tenants by falsely claiming they have damaged the apartment.

arathi likes this.