Book Club

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Book Club (7)

Dear all,

The next meeting is on 1st of July, Saturday, 3pm to 5pm. The book is Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

You are welcome to join us!

Book Club (8)

Dear all,

Mixed reviews for Purple Hibiscus but everyone enjoyed exploring the themes of the book. Great discussion!

The next meeting is on 19th of August, Saturday, 3pm to 5pm. The book is "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom.

Please email me if you would like to join us.

Book Club (9)

Dear all,

It was great seeing you Vera and Jenny yesterday. We hope to see more people joining us in the next meeting, which is on 30th of Sept, Saturday, 3pm to 5pm at our apartment. The next book is "Down Under" by Bill Bryson.

We had a good discussion about the "5 People you meet in Heaven". Although people disagreed on the quality of the book, everyone agreed that the issues raised were thought provoking. We also made comparison with his first book "Tuesday with Morrie" and the film "It's a Wonderful Life" and the book "Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens.

We hope you enjoy the next book.

Book Club (10)

Hi all,

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival!

It has to be said that there was a mixed response to Bill Bryson's Down Under. The majority of the club felt that the first few chapters were hard work and that it was difficult to enjoy the humour. Even the book's supporters agreed that things really only got going in the last third of the book and that this was not Bill Bryson's best effort.

The next meeting is on 4th of Nov (Saturday) 3pm at our apartment in Pokfulam. The book is "Freakonomics - A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything" by Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner.

We hope you will enjoy this book!

Book Club (11)

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their responses to Freakonomics - a good session.

We are going to meet again on 9th of Dec, Saturday at 1pm onwards. We will have a pot-luck Christmas lunch to start with as well as some fellowship before discussing Jackie Pullinger (with Andrew Quicke)'s Chasing the Dragon.

Merry Christmas!

Hi Wee,

My friend and me have been thinking to forum or join a book club a lot lately and I'm so happy found your club today. I'm interested to join your gathering on Dec 9th. Would you please give me the details how to get there?

Thanks and regards,
    Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Kean:
    Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their responses to Freakonomics - a good session.

We are going to meet again on 9th of Dec, Saturday at 1pm onwards. We will have a pot-luck Christmas lunch to start with as well as some fellowship before discussing Jackie Pullinger (with Andrew Quicke)'s Chasing the Dragon.

Merry Christmas!

Hi Rachel,

Welcome to join us.

Regards,
    Wee Kean

A gentle reminder .. we do sell most of the books you folks might want to read on http://www.shopinhk.com

Let me know if you folks might be interested in a bulk order of a chosen book.

Most members prefer to borrow from HKPLibraries. Only a few will buy books but as we don't live close by to each other, it couldn't a problem in distributing the books unless you have delivery service to different address?

Anyway, will check out the website. Thanks KIA. Merry Christmas!

I am interested in joining on Dec, 9. Please let me know more information. my e-mail/msn is [email protected]