Why? : Cafe de Coral etc.

Closed Thread

Why? : Cafe de Coral etc.

OK.

It's not just Cafe de Coral, it also applies to Maxims, Canteen etc.

Why, once you've finished your food, and your still happily sucking away at your drink, do the staff ask you if you're finished and then proceed to take the tray away?

Surely, they should wait until you've completely finished your meal AND drink? I mean, once they take your tray away, they only have to come back for your empty glass anyway!

Does clearing away the tray, but not your drink, somehow makes it look tidier? Is there a reason behind this?

The ONLY time this does not happen at these place is if, I FINISH me drink before I finish my meal, which is rare.

Shed some light!

Ummm they might have limited plates and utensils etc especially if its busy thus need it for the next set of customers.

Its an unsubtle hint to say ' You've almost finished and can you please bugger off soon'

it's get the punters in then out as quick as possible

They want you out so they can serve the next punter. The business model being serving cheap food as fast and as often as possible.

If you go to a family restaurant they take your plate away once your finished also. Besides dropping the hint to leave, the more tidy look I also like having the extra elbow space and being able to pull out my computer or read a paper.

Quote Originally Posted by HKChigger:
    If Besides dropping the hint to leave, ... having the extra elbow space and being able to pull out my computer or read a paper.
    you'd think the two are mutually exclusive.

They drop the hint, hkchigger ignores it and pulls out the paper/computer. Just because they want you to leave, doesn't mean you have to.

A mystery solved!

Except, it's also happened when the places are relatively empty. It must be ingrained habit. Like 'nghhhh, gotta, gotta take his tray away, can't... can't stop myself.....'.