Renting in Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Renting in Hong Kong

How would I get started on looking for places to rent in Hong Kong after I arrive? I have looked through loads of sites, but what about once I get there? Is it common to use agents to show you around?

Also, are you able to negotiate the rates easily? If so, how much would you anticipate being able to bring down $35k/month in rent? I am sure it depends, but a ball park and advice on how to handle this would help.

Thanks.

You will have to work through an agent and sometimes you may need a lawyer to go over the lease and the paper work.

Rent is usually negotiable within 0-20% of the asking price depending on the location and your estate agent (they represent both you and the landlord -- even though they're supposed to be on your side).

"How much can you negotiate" is an impossible question to answer, as it will depend on the building, the interior decoration in the apartment, the facilities you need (furnished etc) the length of your lease, if its a company lease or a personal lease etc.

If your move is corporate sponsored the local office will have some advice for you, specially if you're not the first person thats moved over.