Where to Live?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Where to Live?

I would really like some advice on where to settle in HK. At the moment, we are all living in Central but next year we would really like to get out of the city as it would be more practical for our family. My husband works in Central, we have a 3 year old child, baby on the way and a large dog. Some place's mentioned to us that would be best are:
    Discovery Bay
    Gold Coast
    Sai Kung
    Clear Water Bay
    Pokfulam
    We are not on a huge budget so I think Repulse Bay is out.
    My hubby doesn't really want to travel more than 45mins as he works quite late and I need to consider an International school for my daughter, some advice much appreciated, Cheers

To some extent this comes down to how your husband will commute - do you envisage having a car if necessary, or relying on public transport? Which of the following would he be happy with:
    - ferry
    - big bus
    - minibus
    - MTR
    ?

What sort of international school are you looking at?

PDLM might not know this, but your kid's commute (as opposed to the husband's hardships) will drive the decision. Trust me on this.

"PDLM might not know this, but your kid's commute (as opposed to the husband's hardships) will drive the decision. Trust me on this."

I totally agree with KIA!

I was working on the assumption that kids do what they are told, but the husband does what he wants. It must be strange to be in a situation where it's the other way round.

Maybe it's just the way I grew up... my father had a 5 minute drive to work. I (from the age of 8 to 18) had a 20 minute walk, 30 minute train ride and another 15 minute walk.

Should I be suing my parents for emotional distress or lack of mollycoddling or something?

Last edited by PDLM; 17-11-2005 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Should I be suing my parents for emotional distress or lack of mollycoddling or something?
    Ohhh sure! That is a two hour commute, each day for, say 200 days a year,......400 hours per year.

8-18.......thats 10 years..........they owe you 4000 hours! So dont settle for anything less that a 166 day holiday in the Maldives.....

Gold Coast can do it for you and your husband. Prices are much lower than HK Island and space is good. You have the beach, some entertainment area for kids, fresh air and for grocery shopping Welcome is nearby (2mn walk). If you need more just take bus a (5mn) to Tuen Mun and you will find everything. I do everyday GoldCoast/Admiralty by bus and it takes about 35/45 minutes depending on traffic.
    I have however no idea about school, has I do not have kids....

discovery bay is a nice area for families...less polluted and less populated..there's an international school...takes about 30 mins to central by ferry..lots of outdoor space to take your dog for walkies..good luck!

Smile

Thanks guys I think I will have a look at Gold Coast and DB. I know that school buses pick up from Gold Coast to various schools and there is an International School at DB although I dont like there waiting list policy much.

Kimmi,

If you visit Gold Coast, try to take a look at AEGEAN COAST, it is just opposite the GoldCoast Yatch Club and the buildings are more new (about 3/4 years old), but the prices are the same...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast