Old tapes conversion

Closed Thread

Old tapes conversion

I have some really really old cassete tapes, such as mini VHS, Sony 8 tapes etc. Does anyone know where I can go and convert them (they are quite old and I dont want to lose them) to DVD and CD?

Thanks

From HK Magazine's Mr Know-It-All:

Dear Mr. Know-It-All,
    Do you know of any places that can convert VHS old home videos to a DVD format and digitize music from cassette tapes into an MP3 or CD format? Ideally cheap places please.
    Stuck in the ‘90s

Feeling it’s finally time to update your out-dated electronic systems? A good place to check out would be Color Town Photo-finishing Company (Shop 36-37, L/3, Sceneway Plaza, Lam Tin, 2346-8083). They’ll convert VHS tapes into DVDs at $99 for every hour’s recording. For your musical needs, try David Photo (14C Health St. East, North Point, 2856-3084), which will set you back $138 for 60 minutes of recording.

Mr. Know-It-All, November 20th, 2009 | HK-magazine.com

Quote Originally Posted by jabalong:
    From HK Magazine's Mr Know-It-All:

that's pretty pricey, would it be cheaper if you use (assuming you still have your analogue camcorder) old camcorder and use your friends/colleagues dvd recorder, plug them both in, very simple process and record in the dvd recorder (blank dvd are only HK$5 each nowadays)

I dont have anymore the camcorder, anyone else know where I can go?

there are quite a number of local photo printing store do vhs conversion to dvd or vcd just around $50-100 or so

pop in and ask

try places like fotomax, they should do it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    try places like fotomax, they should do it as well.

right but ummmm.. abit expensive..

http://www.fotomaxonline.com/images/...promo_l_56.jpg

worth trying tho

It might take more leg work to find someone, but the cheaper option could be to search the computer centres for someone who can do it. There's bound to be some computer geeks (I use this term affectionately) with time on their hands who'll do it for less than the big chains. If you're an expat or non-Cantonese speaker, it might pay to bring a local friend with you to help ask around and negotiate the price (so you don't get the "expat special").

Still I have not found a place that will do the "old" tapes. Sony 8mm, or mini VHS?