Do I pay my part time helper over Christmas?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Nicely put Boro Boy.

come on guys! Neither I nor anyone else has said ANYTHING about getting away with as little as we can! That is totally unfair & unfounded!

I pay my part time cleaners WELL above minimum. I pay MPF, I bought them Xmas presents, gave their kids presents & threw a Xmas party for them! I even cooked for 30 people myself!

My part time teacher has been with me for 7 weeks. I have no intention of paying her for xtra time. I already pay her a good hourly wage.

This doesn't make me a Scrooge. I actually pay out well more in salaries than I take myself. I pay all staff before I get anything, occasionally there's not much left for me, but that's the way it goes.

Please do not judge so quickly without knowing all of the details!
    Posted via Mobile Device

But this is the Internet!!! Where machine-gun judgements are expected!

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    part-time workers are paid for what they work. (overtime excepted, of course, i would pay overtime).

i have a part-time teacher and part-time cleaners for my playgroup centre. over christmas the school is closed. i will not be paying them for classes not taught, just as i will not pay the part-time cleaners for time not worked.

that's why part-timers often get higher hourly wages. when i worked part-time for a kindergarten, years ago, i ONLY got paid for what i worked.
    This post pretty much nails it.

Continuing to pay whilst the helper is out is simply charity or goodwill- it's not right and it's not wrong- it's completely up to the employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    But this is the Internet!!! Where machine-gun judgements are expected!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejOm1V0Qpvk"]YouTube- Noisia - Machine Gun[/ame]
    Last edited by bamboochan18; 10-12-2009 at 04:11 PM.

I guess it also depends on whether your helper is having her pay sacrificed so she can work part-time for you. I have heard of some helpers who take a pay cut and then supplement their work with 'outside' work. If this is the case, then I'd say you would be sort of obliged to give her something, as in effect your surrogating part of her contract pay.. maybe??

Quote Originally Posted by bamboochan18:
    Why is there such a theme exist ? Illogical...all knew???
    You honestly don't believe some people believe in doing more than the minimum? I feel sorry for you, what an outlook on life!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    You honestly don't believe some people believe in doing more than the minimum? I feel sorry for you, what an outlook on life!
    Regrets of your ability to understand.I have to respond to PDLM not the forum of theme.
    Do not quote out of context
    Last edited by bamboochan18; 10-12-2009 at 05:18 PM.

My helper is also away for 3 weeks over the holiday and usually works for me for 6 hours a week.

I decided to pay her for those weeks and gave her a little extra for Christmas. To me, the amount involved is minimal (and no I'm not rich or in a well paying job) but it is the season of goodwill! That money will let her celebrate at home with her family, who she sees rarely.

At the end of the day it was my decision and I felt that she works hard for me during the year, so it was my chance to show my appreciation!

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    come on guys! Neither I nor anyone else has said ANYTHING about getting away with as little as we can! That is totally unfair & unfounded!

I pay my part time cleaners WELL above minimum. I pay MPF, I bought them Xmas presents, gave their kids presents & threw a Xmas party for them! I even cooked for 30 people myself!

My part time teacher has been with me for 7 weeks. I have no intention of paying her for xtra time. I already pay her a good hourly wage.

This doesn't make me a Scrooge. I actually pay out well more in salaries than I take myself. I pay all staff before I get anything, occasionally there's not much left for me, but that's the way it goes.

Please do not judge so quickly without knowing all of the details!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Hi,

I doubt PDLM directed that statement at you. If he did, in my experience he would single you out for it and speak directly at you. I don't view this as a personal attack.

I agree with him and it is no blanket statement either. The remuneration requirements in Hong Kong allow many unprincipled employers to get away with providing only the bare minimum.

I'll put it to you this way. They work out what will give them jail time and then back it up a little bit from there.