BA strike over Xmas - who's affected?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

I have not flown on BA since the 1980's (never had to head that way), but I am told that today BA has a top notch Business Class product, having opted against the herringbone configuration or 'coffin class' that CX have installed.

In any case, there are plenty of other ways to get from HKG to LHR/LGW, such as CX, NZ, QF, VS (okay, not much better than BA), KL, EK/AY (as suggested above), SQ, etc.

Ultimately though this is down to the union and the single cell lifeforms that voted for a strike over the Christmas period. BA has not had great press in the past few years and needs to make changes to it's business model in the same way as many others. It seems the cabin crew are as arrogant in this vote as they have been in the stories told above. And at Christmas time? If I was BA cabin crew I'd be keeping that fact well and truly hidden.

My neice is BA cabin crew, has been for 20 years, I will pass on all your best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    I reached my tolerance level with British airlines last year when, checking in for a BMI flight in Edinburgh, for a trip down to London, I was one pound (yes, less than half a kilo) overweight on my baggage. I was slammed with a 15 pound penalty and when I tried to argue it, was told "Madam, we are an airline with zero tolerance".

To which I responded "Madam, I'm a passenger with zero tolerance and won't ever be flying with you again, and will tell everyone I can about the idiocy of your policies". Edinburgh to London is a major business commute and at least three-quarters of the plane was occupied by briefcase-only passengers.

British Airways lost my custom two years ago when I was on a mercy mission to get to my terminally ill mother's bedside. Quantas were amazing in getting me to London, but upon approaching BA for a flight up to Edinburgh, the last of the day, I paid over four hundred pounds for a one-way ticket. I got onto the plane thinking I must have been lucky to get one of the remaining seats and hence the inflated charge, to find there were less than 20 passengers on the flight. I told the senior flight attendant that in my eyes it was extortion and got a shrug of the shoulders.
    I had a similar experience with Qantas and Virgin in Australia a couple of years ago. I was dashing between Wellington in NZ and Hobart in Tasmania a few times as my father-in-law was on his last legs ... Qantas reactivated an expired and unchangeable ticket to allow me to travel home (during a lull we had not expected); Virgin, on the other hand, would not allow me to change an inflexible ticket to the earlier flight on the same day while I was sat in transit at Sydney airport, upon the news he had died and so I needed to get there asap (to be with my husband). Qantas let me redeem frequent flier points for a flight within a few minutes (unfortunately their schedule was not as good as Virgin's for that particular moment in time). I know people knock qantas - and they are not great alot of the time, but these incidents stay with me over and above the others because of the high stress involved in dying relatives.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker:
    today BA has a top notch Business Class product, having opted against the herringbone configuration or 'coffin class' that CX have installed.
    yes, I love having to face the stranger sitting across from me while desperately praying for take off (and dreading landing) so we can roll up the dividing screen and pretend our feet are not at the level of each others' heads.....

Oh, how I miss Oasis.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    My neice is BA cabin crew, has been for 20 years, I will pass on all your best wishes
    Multiple postings on BA quality from their target market might explain why BA have cut back to 2 flights a day to Hong Kong, Cathay still on four times despite the huge price difference between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I had a similar experience with Qantas and Virgin in Australia a couple of years ago. I was dashing between Wellington in NZ and Hobart in Tasmania a few times as my father-in-law was on his last legs ... Qantas reactivated an expired and unchangeable ticket to allow me to travel home (during a lull we had not expected); Virgin, on the other hand, would not allow me to change an inflexible ticket to the earlier flight on the same day while I was sat in transit at Sydney airport, upon the news he had died and so I needed to get there asap (to be with my husband). Qantas let me redeem frequent flier points for a flight within a few minutes (unfortunately their schedule was not as good as Virgin's for that particular moment in time). I know people knock qantas - and they are not great alot of the time, but these incidents stay with me over and above the others because of the high stress involved in dying relatives.
    Moving, I'm so sorry to hear about your experience, I know how important these times are and you're right, there's nothing quite as stressful as trying to get to a dying relative in time. Qantas here were amazing. I'd actually only flown back from the UK the night before, at which point I heard my mother had taken a very serious turn, and was at the airport again at 6am trying to get back to the UK.

Jardines as the agent were phenomenal in helping me and worked with Qantas to get me on the earliest flight out. Qantas put me on a full flight, my apologies to whoever they bumped or pushed out of the standby line for me. They didn't try and extort a high fare, actually it was an exceptional deal for immediate travel.

I shall be eternally grateful to them for helping me to get there in time.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    20 years! So that makes them 40 something.

The air hostesses on my last trip (years ago) were like teachers, and far from skinny.

(Note: I did not use the words Old fat slags above, any similarities in my words are not the message intended)

They use to have very fast routes to london before compared to other airines...

It is a shit airline, but pity the staff are just so dumb that they are going to bury it. Not sure what is the status of the merger, but think Iberia will buy them out for 2 quid.

Here free flights with BA.... lets be hypocrites.

British Airways | Business Opportunity Grants

Business free flights for a year.
    We’re offering 30 small to medium sized companies the chance to each win 10 flights for a year as well as a selection of valuable business services.

Don’t miss this opportunity to meet with your clients more often and strengthen your business relationships.

Apply by 15th January 2010
    Last edited by hk.com; 15-12-2009 at 03:39 PM.

[QUOTE=hk.com;505623]20 years! So that makes them 40 something.

The air hostesses on my last trip (years ago) were like teachers, and far from skinny.

She is hot actually (though I guess I shouldn't say that about my niece )

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast