Hong Kong Street Food?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hong Kong Street Food?

Alright, so I'm curious where the best street food places are in town. When I was young my parents didn't let me eat all that much street food (curry fish balls, beef innards on a stick etc) mainly because they didn't find it all that clean. The TV ads advising people not the eat street food back in the 90s didn't help either (the most iconic scene is when the street hawker drops his cigarette into the curry fish ball sauce and still proceeds to serve it...haha!). Anyway, since I moved back from the US I've noticed that a lot of the hawker stands have now become little shops. So I'm curious where I would find good places that sell the following:

Curry Fish Balls/Beef Innards on a stick

So I've had it recently at a random place in Causeway Bay (across from Times Square) but it was quite disappointing. I came across 13th Block Beef Innards (十三座牛雜) on Openrice and saw they have shops both in North Point and Wanchai. The English name I used is made up since they don't officially have an English name. Looks interesting. Here's the listing on Openrice:

港式 十三座牛雜 的概要 - 香港餐廳 - Hong Kong Restaurants Guide HK Restaurant

It is super hard to find places on Openrice that serve this stuff. Any suggestions?

Little Chicken Pancakes (雞蛋仔)

I've looked a bit on Openrice and Mammy Pankcakes in Hung Hom seem the most interesting to me. Besides the traditional 雞蛋仔 they also serve chocolate chip and sesame versions! Seems uber yummy. Here's its listing on Openrice:

港式 媽咪雞蛋仔 Mammy Pancake 的概要 - 香港餐廳 - Hong Kong Restaurants Guide HK Restaurant

Anyone know any better place?

Stinky Tofu (臭豆腐)

There seem to be places on Openrice but none of them look very good. I personally never ate any stinky tofu growing up in HK but fell in love with it when I was roaming in Taiwan a little while back. Any suggestions?

Roasted Chestnuts (烤慄子)

I used to love eating these when I was young. Perfect for the winter/fall weather. I can't find a single place on Openrice and I haven't noticed that many places in town serving this. Any suggestions?

Any other street foods you guys like? Thanks!

Roasted chestnuts are usually sold by guys on carts so they're going to be all over the place, Look for a semi busy road junction and they should be there.

A popular place for street food is in Wanchai, a few doors to the left of mcdonalds by wanchai computer centre. Long queues of locals and the food is good there.

The place opposite Times Square sucks. Jim's right, a lot of people get their 雞蛋仔 (gai daan jai) and other goodies around WCC. There seems to be a roaring trade in street food around Dundas Street too--I smell stinky tofu out there every time I'm on my way to the airsoft places. : ]

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 16-12-2009 at 07:46 AM.

Thanks Jay and Jimbo! I think I found a good place you mentioned on Dundas Street called 肥姐小食店 on Openrice:

http://www.openrice.com/restaurant/sr...

I have a feeling this is the same place Cha Xiao Bao (the food blogger) took Bourdain to and they got booted by the angry owner. This place looks more promising than 十三座牛雜 which I mentioned earlier.

As for stuff near WCC/188/298 it would be great if you had a name I could Google but if not it's no biggie. I grew up going there so it's easy to find for me. Any idea where exactly the 雞蛋仔 place is in Wanchai? Someone mentioned there is a good one right very close to one of the MTR exits.

Any more suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by big_apple_ken:
    As for stuff near WCC/188/298 it would be great if you had a name I could Google but if not it's no biggie. I grew up going there so it's easy to find for me. Any idea where exactly the 雞蛋仔 place is in Wanchai? Someone mentioned there is a good one right very close to one of the MTR exits.

Any more suggestions?
    The one I mentioned is right by WCC, Don't know the name but its a few doors down from the Mcdonalds which is to the left of the escalators leading up to WCC, They're the only one on that stretch.

Hmm...interesting. I guess if that's the only one you know then it will be easy for me to find since I know the WCC area pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by big_apple_ken:
    Hmm...interesting. I guess if that's the only one you know then it will be easy for me to find since I know the WCC area pretty well.
    Thats the only one I know because I don't tend to frequent 'dirty wanchai' unless going to the WCC.

Wanchai is dirty? How about Mong Kok? Haha

Little Chicken Pancakes (雞蛋仔)

i think they are all about the same. the one by wan chai computer center is very popular with a very long line.

Stinky Tofu (臭豆腐)

there's one on soy street in mong kok. just got some on saturday.
    heres a thread on stinky tofu http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread43785.html

I will have to ask my friend about the place he goes to in Mong Kok for Curry Fishballs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast