No toilet in our flat!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Angry No toilet in our flat!

The toilet flushing system in our flat has been broken now for 3 weeks and now our landlord is telling us that it's going to take another 3 to get it fixed because the repair needs government approval!

This means that by the end we'll have been without a working toilet for 6 weeks which is not acceptable in my opinion.

I've had a look around for any related ordinances or laws that relate to legal requirements for a landlord/tennant relationships but I can't find anything relevant. This being Hong Kong I expect I have no rights in any situation, but just in case I'm wrong does anybody know if there is some law/rule that the landlord must provide basic working facilities?

I'm trying to get as much ammunition as possible to book into a hotel until this is over and take the costs out of the rent.

Anybody had a similar situation to this?

Just get it fixed (I'm sure it could be done same day) and deduct the cost from your next month's rent, submitting a copy of the receipt as evidence.

No repair needs government approval unless you are living in a public housing flat. In that case I believe your tenancy is illegal anyway.

I find it quite surprising that you go more than 24 hours without getting something like this resolved - 3 weeks is almost incredible.

Last edited by PDLM; 17-12-2009 at 12:03 PM.

I'd stop paying rent until it's fixed. And advise such to the landlord in writing.

It's not just our flat, it's the whole building.

There's a problem with the waste water system.

Unfortunately I can't act unilateraly to get it done.

And we were told it would only be a few days originally (which I can live with).

Last edited by Stu79; 17-12-2009 at 12:05 PM.

Call the Water Services Department Customer Hotline and speak to an officer there for advice. Customer Services Hotline 2824 5000

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Call the Water Services Department Customer Hotline and speak to an officer there for advice. Customer Services Hotline 2824 5000
    Thanks PDLM, I'll do that now.

woah! that's just a nightmare! i hope you get it fixed soon.

Might not hurt to stock up on adult diapers (Depends)...LOL! All joking aside hope you get the problem resolved ASAP.

similar problem in my building, though now fixed. presuming you still have running water, you do know that you can flush a toilet by chucking a bucket of water down it though? Not ideal but at least you can still use the loos.

Quote Originally Posted by MarthaK:
    similar problem in my building, though now fixed. presuming you still have running water, you do know that you can flush a toilet by chucking a bucket of water down it though? Not ideal but at least you can still use the loos.
    Yeah, that's what we've been doing. I just resent paying a shitload of money in rent without a flushing toilet. I mean, it's just a basic nessesity.

I know back home the landlord is required by law to make sure that basic sanitation is provided as part of the deal.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast