Freakiest food you've eaten in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I tried chicken testicles (gai tzi) at a hot pot once on a dare. It was painful.

Painful? Why? Did it taste that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by big_apple_ken:
    Although it's cruel (I am a down owner myself) I am down to try some 'exotic' animals.
    why is it anymore cruel to eat exotic animals than other ones?

What makes a dog more special than lamb? A horse more special than a cow? A cat or a chicken? Animal meat is animal meat. Some culture prefer to eat only animals that are vegetarian.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    still done, i had dog a few months ago. was not told it was dog until afterwards....

similar location has eagles, and owls too for menu items
    where is this?

one of my mates ate some soup that his colleagues had brought to work, it had the usual medly of off-cuts, plus some stuff he had no idea what it was... so he asked.. and was told his colleagues sister just had a baby, and there was placenta in the soup. yeewwwww

(i know some cultures do this, but still...)

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Mundo:
    I tried chicken testicles (gai tzi) at a hot pot once on a dare. It was painful.
    painfull for you or the chicken?

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    why is it anymore cruel to eat exotic animals than other ones?

What makes a dog more special than lamb? A horse more special than a cow? A cat or a chicken? Animal meat is animal meat. Some culture prefer to eat only animals that are vegetarian.
    Well 3 things:

1) If you own a dog...it's a little harder IMHO to eat dog meat. Same really can be said if you owned cat or any other animal you feel attached to.

2) Sadly there is certain pressure from society that it is wrong to eat dogs/cats. I guess dog & cats aren't really breed to be eaten (unlike cows, pigs etc) hence the taboo factor.

3) Certain 'exotic' animals would be more special if they are a species on the endangered animal list. With the way us Chinese people eat sharks fin or potentially animals like bear, owl etc it won't be long until they become extinct.

Quote Originally Posted by leedseagle:
    where is this?
    northwest areas of guangdong...smaller countryside areas

I once had a pizza with thousand island dressing on it, and there were peaches in the salad! Mental.

Well 3 things:

1) If you own a dog...it's a little harder IMHO to eat dog meat. Same really can be said if you owned cat or any other animal you feel attached to.
    i can see what you mean, but as a kid/teen i had pet rabbits, pet goats, sheep, calves... i still ate their siblings. maybe i am heartless, i dunno. i'm vego now

2) Sadly there is certain pressure from society that it is wrong to eat dogs/cats. I guess dog & cats aren't really breed to be eaten (unlike cows, pigs etc) hence the taboo factor.
    i think it's more that western cultures (waiting for Mr No to jump in here) don't feel right eating canivores... pigs being omnivores seems ok though? hmm

3) Certain 'exotic' animals would be more special if they are a species on the endangered animal list. With the way us Chinese people eat sharks fin or potentially animals like bear, owl etc it won't be long until they become extinct.
    yeah, a bit like fish in general if we're honest. they're not exotic but there's not many left

Note: i'm not trying to turn this into a pro-vego thread!
    Last edited by dropdedfwed; 18-12-2009 at 03:02 PM. Reason: added a wee note