Freakiest food you've eaten in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Tai Wai
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    painfull for you or the chicken?
    When I bit into it, I felt the chicken's pain, lol. It kinda pops in your mouth... so if you're a guy, imagine someone biting your nuts until it pops.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,905
    Quote Originally Posted by big_apple_ken:
    Well 3 things:

    1) If you own a dog...it's a little harder IMHO to eat dog meat. Same really can be said if you owned cat or any other animal you feel attached to.

    2) Sadly there is certain pressure from society that it is wrong to eat dogs/cats. I guess dog & cats aren't really breed to be eaten (unlike cows, pigs etc) hence the taboo factor.

    3) Certain 'exotic' animals would be more special if they are a species on the endangered animal list. With the way us Chinese people eat sharks fin or potentially animals like bear, owl etc it won't be long until they become extinct.
    I can see your points although people own all kinds of animals as pets. Many kids in NZ have a pet lamb at some point and it doesn't stop them from eating lamb(though generally no the pet)

    It depends what society I guess...

    The question remains: Why would it be more cruel? I can see it being more difficult, I just don't see cruelty factored in

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    The question remains: Why would it be more cruel? I can see it being more difficult, I just don't see cruelty factored in
    I guess maybe "cruel" is the wrong choice of word.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    hong kong
    Posts
    3,484

    After seeing the comments here about eating strange animals, it reminded me of the wifes northern China, taxi driver, cousin. " I eat snake for strong blood, tiger for love and strength, dog and wolf for health and monkey for strong hair ".

    His taxi was hit by an 18 wheeler a few years back. One wonders what other endangered species might have averted that as I am sure it would have come up in the conversation at the funeral.


  5. #25

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    ...His taxi was hit by an 18 wheeler a few years back...
    Sounds like he was HGV positive.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,801

    Had sea cucumber and duck feet last night. Not that weird, but they were both firsts for me!
    Posted via Mobile Device


  7. #27

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    36

    Went to a congee place in Causeway Bay. They didn't have an English menu. I just pointed to something in the middle of the longest subsection in the menu with the most common price (figured that wouldn't get me just a Coke). The congee tasted great. At the bottom was a pinkish ball, a bit bigger than a golf ball. It came apart easily under my spoon and broke into bits of thin, inch-long, white string-like substance. Tasted OK. Anyone want to take a guess? Anyone?


  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by stsc:
    Went to a congee place in Causeway Bay. They didn't have an English menu. I just pointed to something in the middle of the longest subsection in the menu with the most common price (figured that wouldn't get me just a Coke). The congee tasted great. At the bottom was a pinkish ball, a bit bigger than a golf ball. It came apart easily under my spoon and broke into bits of thin, inch-long, white string-like substance. Tasted OK. Anyone want to take a guess? Anyone?
    Was it your left nut? LOL!

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near Earth orbit
    Posts
    1,221
    Quote Originally Posted by neither3nor4:
    I once had a pizza with thousand island dressing on it, and there were peaches in the salad! Mental.
    Pizza with a satay sauce. Unusual to say the least. And what the hell is the idea of coleslaw with peaches? Urggh!

    Had snake and that was rather nice.

    The worst new experience I've had since being here is one thousand year old egg. Tastes like an egg flavoured dog turd.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kwun Tong
    Posts
    1,242

    The other day I had Lamp Chop, quite a novelty.