Freakiest food you've eaten in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

I had chicken feet in HK - I think they were pickled.

Just ate a turtle of some sort in Suzhou last month but that was not HK. It was quite good actually. My wife declined to eat it but I was sitting next to the host and I figured at least one of our group should do the right thing. He was a cute one but quite tasty. While snails they are not quite exotic were also in the bowl.

Last edited by Football16; 20-12-2009 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu79:

The worst new experience I've had since being here is one thousand year old egg. Tastes like an egg flavoured dog turd.
    I like the thousand yr old eggs. Either in a congee or hot pot. You've tasted dog turd before?

Quote Originally Posted by big_apple_ken:
    Well 3 things:

2) Sadly there is certain pressure from society that it is wrong to eat dogs/cats. I guess dog & cats aren't really breed to be eaten (unlike cows, pigs etc) hence the taboo factor.
    I don't know for all, but the dog meat that I did eat in China, the dogs were breed to be eaten. Also, there is certain pressure from society to not eat pigs in certain cultures, or cows in others but we still eat them. It's normal to eat dogs/cats in some cultures.

Weird things I have eaten, although none in HK were: dog meat (in China and in Korea), raw horse sashimi (in Canada), and duck fetus (in Canada).

One thing I think I'd struggle to eat is balut.
    Otherwise the last 15 years in Asia I've eaten everything from monkey to turtle to insects, jellyfish, dog, cat...

Mostly the taste isn't the thing that makes you feel like hurling - it's the texture (can't stand the slime / jelly of the boiled turtle / tortoise or whatever shell) or thinking about what it is (big fat bloody fried moths).

Brain of a pig in soup.

Not in HK, but I had lamb head soup at a Persian restaurant in Canada. Eyes and brain and all. I heard the Iranian wrestlers eat it for extra testosterone.

not a lot of weird food I have eaten in HK, but I ate rat, crocodile and rabbit in China. I was told after I finished the meal, and felt totally sick after that!~ >.<

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4