DVD player? looking for one w/o code.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question DVD player? looking for one w/o code.

Hi. I moved from the US and am looking for a dvd player that is compatible with both dvds from the US and Asia. essentially, I want a dvd player w/o regional codes. Where can I find one? (hoping not having to go to ShenZhen) Thank you!

NYMomToBe

Philips sale at 17/F in the Hopewell Centre at Wan Chai. They have a sale on with multi-region DVD players (that they claim can play everything) for HK$ 598. Open 10-7 daily, call them on 2529 8510 if you need to ask them anything.

Actually most of the players you'll buy anwhere here are gonna be zone free, just pick the one you like

Most if not ALL the players from international and chinese brands, sold in HK, will be region free or will come with instructions on how to switch the regions.

pretty much any DVD player is multi code here....or at least ive been told

i just bought an amazing setup from a store in tsuen wan...

for about 1200, i got a TEAC 5.1 surround sound sytem with subwoofer, amp, 6 speakers, and a DVD/VCD/CD/MP3/DIVX player

its multi code so i can play any DVD, and it is really nice

they had a huge sale, so i jumped on it

if u buy the cheapest, tackiest DVD player, it will play pretty much anything. your average $300 job will play even DVD's from Shenzhen (well, i didn't buy any, just tried some from there )

however, if u want a nice DVD recorder that will also play DVD's from across the border, u have to be careful. as previously stated in this thread, almost every player/recorder is multi-region (so will play HK, US and, say UK DVD's) but not all will play SZ DVD's. i tried 6 DVD recorders in a store b4 i found that pretty much only Sony DVD player/recorders will play SZ DVD's. the only other player in the shop that played them was a $300 hyundai, the panasonics did not, pioneers did not etc etc..

my advice (well, what i did) is to take a DVD from the region you want to play into the store and try it in a player that takes your fancy. i took Aussie, HK and SZ DVD's to a store and played "musical DVD players" till i found one that finally played all (the SZ DVD's were the only "fussy" ones). there are enough staff in most stores to do this, if you go outside lunch times.

Last edited by dropdedfwed; 24-11-2005 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dropdedfwed:
    ...but not all will play SZ DVD's. i tried 6 DVD recorders in a store b4 i found that pretty much only Sony DVD player/recorders will play SZ DVD's. the only other player in the shop that played them was a $300 hyundai, the panasonics did not, pioneers did not etc etc..

SZ DVD's? SZ doesnt have its own region....if you mean because they are actually DVD-/+R's (true bootleg DVD's) then you just need to make sure the DVD player can play that format.

I have bought DVD's from Korea, Japan, US, UK, Northern China, Southern China, HK and they have all worked on my DVD player's. I always make sure the DVD player can play back-ups because most pirated movies are recognized as copied movies or backups.

i bought a philips dvp642 here in australia after doing my research online...

it's region free [or can be made to be], plays avis, mpegs, divx [if you like to back up your movies into computer format or use bittorrent] plus all your standard dvd formats, and best of all it's cheap and a name brand..

Quote Originally Posted by tangent23:
    best of all it's cheap and a name brand..
    Thats what I thought when I brought my Panasonic (lasted 18 months) and LG (lasted 6 months) ones. I've heard Sony, Samsung and Pioneer make the best dvd players. Anyone know any others?

Saltwater : We have three pioneer players .. one if a cool 6 year old combo DVD/LD player and the other two are 300 DVD Jukeboxes for over 4 years now (yeah, you can tell I'm a movie junkie). Never had a problem with them.

I've looked at the Philips and I suspect it will be more of a throwaway player for me to just copy the TV shows that I download, to watch on the telly as opposed to the computer.

With all you DVD fanatics out there.. I better get my act together and re-launch http://www.dvds.org.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast