Copenhagen a success?

Closed Thread

Copenhagen a success?

I see The Standard has an article where Beijing is saying: don't listen to other media, we say it was a success.
    Copenhagen a success, Beijing tells HK media - The Standard

"I don't consider it a failure, I think it was successful," Zhang said.

She called the reports on the climate accord "biased" and "irresponsible."

Spokesman Song Ronghua said the office decided to tell Hong Kong reporters the mainland's view of the summit. "Many reports of the local media on the pact seemed negative. They used stories of Western wire agencies. No Hong Kong media representative covered the summit in Copenhagen except for Phoenix Satellite Television, which has a foreign correspondent over there."
    I found an interesting article in The Guardian that provides a great insight into the closed-door high-level negotiations.
    How do I know China wrecked the Copenhagen deal? I was in the room | Mark Lynas | Environment | The Guardian
    What I saw was profoundly shocking. The Chinese premier, Wen Jinbao, did not deign to attend the meetings personally, instead sending a second-tier official in the country's foreign ministry to sit opposite Obama himself. The diplomatic snub was obvious and brutal, as was the practical implication: several times during the session, the world's most powerful heads of state were forced to wait around as the Chinese delegate went off to make telephone calls to his "superiors".
    Interesting stuff.
    I think China really did their homework in preparation for the COP15 and managed to manipulate everything they wanted.
    On the upside, at least they seem to be getting better at using a "diplomatic approach".

I think this political cartoon is pertinent

Yes - it was rather a waste of first class travel, five star hotels and all that free food and drink.
    No body wants to pay to sort the stuff out.

alternative interpretation

Asia Times Online :: China News, China Business News, Taiwan and Hong Kong News and Business.

Here is an alternative interpretation of the summit, less biased than the Guardian article, which was just a worthless hit-piece.

The article states that the sticking point at the summit is that western nations are not going to give aid money and environment-cleaning technology to developing countries without verification.

China may not want foreign inspection. This explains why, as the Guardian writer said, China insisted that all fixed numbers be taken out of the agreement.

But democracies are accountable for what they do to their national assemblies and to the voters, who will assist on seeing verification of results of aid.
    Last edited by ig.consulting; 26-12-2009 at 06:31 PM.