Cheapest way to call Australia

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by alabama
    Hi PDLM, what is HGC 0088?
    where do you download skype??
    HGC is Hutchison Global Crossing.
    Skype - ever heard of Internet search?

I can't believe the number of times I give out this information:

PCCW offer an IDD service called 0060 which can be used from a landline or mobile or any public phone. You just register your landline and/or mobile number with them. For the public phone you just get a calling card which will come with a PIN. The rate to landlines the UK and Australia is currently 17 cents a minute. Bear in mind that calling using your mobile to call will incur airtime.

HGC 0088 has a $38 unlimited IDD offer right now. How is the quality of their calls compared with HGC 0080, PCCW's service and the link above to Wharf's ec Telecom? I'm most interested in the call quality to China and North America.

Skype!!!

one of, if not the, cheapest way to call anywhere in the world. Comp to Comp is free, comp to landline - well, its only ever cost me a eurocent per minute when i've been watching my balance - but i only call spain or the UK.

Depend how much your calling there i guess, and whether its business or personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing_Monkey
    Skype!!!

one of, if not the, cheapest way to call anywhere in the world. Comp to Comp is free, comp to landline - well, its only ever cost me a eurocent per minute when i've been watching my balance - but i only call spain or the UK.

Depend how much your calling there i guess, and whether its business or personal.
    SkypeOut is not cheaper than these discounted plans. The sound quality is quite decent on SkypeOut though, whereas I have no idea what ec Telecom's or HGC's quality is like.

Quote Originally Posted by orrock
    i use phone cards. buy in sham shui po and they are usually $40 for a $50 card. around hk island if you buy in bulk say a pack of 10 you can negotiate and pay for just 8 cards.

currently im using idt (red card with dragon) and it is 90 mins to australia or 0.42c per minute.

next time i will try cherry which is 286 mins or 0.35c per minute. both cards are based on $50 phone card and landline from hk to aust.

however most of the time i get australia to call me because its cheaper that way about aud$1 per hour.
    Hey orrock or anyone else, stupid newbie question: what shops/places sell these? That is, assuming you don't just go to Sham Sui Po and find some dude on the street selling phonecards - or do you?

If you are in/near Central then Worldwide House is a good place to get phonecards.

Hong Kong Broadband does a PC to landline or mobile package for HK$48 per month with unlimited free calls.

The person abroad registers with HKBN and they get to call landlines or mobiles in HK free via PC. Or you can phone their PC number from HK landline or mobile for free.

It's a halfway house between Skype and traditional calling, and the best package around if your friend/relative abroad is on the PC.

Details here: www.2b.com.hk/eng/index_local_serv.htm

Quote Originally Posted by alabama
    what is HGC 0088?
    http://www.hgc.com.hk/eng/corp_info_...ail.php?pid=73
    Have a look at this link.. I used it since it's introduced. HKD 38 a month for unlimited calling. Sometimes it's hard to get to the line, but it's a great price!

Cheers, Blom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast