Cheapest way to call Australia

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thumbs up Cheapest way to call Australia

phone cards? or a good mobile package?

Also, does HK have packages for homephone/internet/mobile phone or is it cheaper to do them separately?

I noticed from other threads that PCCW's broadband is quite good, how about home phone and mobile phone?

use skype..cheapest deal for sure....

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    use skype..cheapest deal for sure....
    For computer to computer calls yes it is (since it's free). But for computer to phone calls, no it isn't. Skype charges 1.7 euro cents per minute to an Australian fixed line. That is more than I currently pay to use either PCCW 0060 or HGC 0080 service. Moreover, HGC 0088 would give you unlimited calls for about HK$80 per month.

A lot of this Skype stuff is pure hype, but fortunately for the founders, a lot of people are bamboozled by it, even to the extent of paying billions of US dollars for something that is just a bit of software that could be built from scratch for a few tens of thousand of dollars.
    Last edited by PDLM; 28-11-2005 at 01:03 PM.

i use phone cards. buy in sham shui po and they are usually $40 for a $50 card. around hk island if you buy in bulk say a pack of 10 you can negotiate and pay for just 8 cards.

currently im using idt (red card with dragon) and it is 90 mins to australia or 0.42c per minute.

next time i will try cherry which is 286 mins or 0.35c per minute. both cards are based on $50 phone card and landline from hk to aust.

however most of the time i get australia to call me because its cheaper that way about aud$1 per hour.

Last edited by orrock; 28-11-2005 at 01:11 PM.

If you dial 1666 or 0060 on a landline (PCCW) before the phone number - this is much cheaper

Hi PDLM, what is HGC 0088?
    where do you download skype??

any good deals for calling from a mobile? (the UK in my case)

1507 is running a deal until mid feb 2006. 10 cents HK a min to US, Canada, Australia, Mainland China, not sure about UK but i think it's on the list too.

dial 1507 on your mobile (cheaper) or land line. if you're not registered call the # they give you to sign up. you'll have to fax them proof of your address and your ID card. you'll get acecss to cheap calling the same day , usually within a few hours. i'm happy with the service so far..

cheers.

Talking

I'm with Sunday (mobile phone service provider) and they give me 100 minutes for HK$18/month but if i go over they just charge me HK$0.18/minute anyway! Bargain!

Cheaper than ringing home from home!

Just go into any Sunday and pick up a SIM card. I think Hutchinson has a good deal going too atm. Check them out...

Who said Skype was hype?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast