Formula1 and TV channels

rid

Formula1 and TV channels

I'm a big fan of Formula1 and I was wondering how to watch the Formula this season here in Hong Kong (I've just moved in)

Do you know if there is a free TV channel in which Formula can be seen live? if not, how about cable channels?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rid
    I'm a big fan of Formula1 and I was wondering how to watch the Formula this season here in Hong Kong (I've just moved in)

Do you know if there is a free TV channel in which Formula can be seen live? if not, how about cable channels?

thanks

NOW TV has Star Sports/ESPN which broadcasts in Hong Kong the F1 races live, with some delayed repeats also.

The drawback being that NOW TV forces you to buy the whole sports channel package, even if you want just 1 channel.

bdw

NowTV channel 671 (Star Sports) is the only way to get formula one in Hong Kong.

Other alternatives if you dont want Now TV:
    1) Find some internet streaming site
    2) Put a slingbox or LocationFree device in one of your friends house in your home country and you can control their TV from HK through the internet.
    3) Go watch it in a pub somewhere. But the cost of beer will probably be more than the cost of NowTV

Last edited by bdw; 30-12-2009 at 11:59 AM.

Now that I have a vpn set up and things plugged to my tv, I should be able to watch coverage through BBC Iplayer....

Due to losing the EPL, FIFA World Cup rights; Now's sports pack is worth considering. $140/mth when I checked last night but I do have an expiring contract

bdw

Does BBC iplayer allow you to watch live TV? ie the same feed that is shown domestically in Britain at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    Does BBC iplayer allow you to watch live TV? ie the same feed that is shown domestically in Britain at the same time?
    Yeppers! They also have BBC live now, or just use catchup tv.

BBC sport specifically allow live streaming for the F1 races, it was part of the deal they agreed with FOM so they could provide live streaming. Have to be in UK (or have a UK IP though).

bdw

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    Yeppers! They also have BBC live now, or just use catchup tv.

BBC sport specifically allow live streaming for the F1 races, it was part of the deal they agreed with FOM so they could provide live streaming. Have to be in UK (or have a UK IP though).
    Wow thats good. In this case, I think you have a great setup and this is the cheapest and easiest way to watch the F1 live.

For those who dont want to mess around with VPN, there are some sites that offer a UK IP address for about 5 pounds a month with unlimited usage. This essentially 'tricks' the BBC and other sites into thinking that your computer is in the UK and then you can enjoy the iplayer service and anything else that is for 'UK only'.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    Wow thats good. In this case, I think you have a great setup and this is the cheapest and easiest way to watch the F1 live.

For those who dont want to mess around with VPN, there are some sites that offer a UK IP address for about 5 pounds a month with unlimited usage. This essentially 'tricks' the BBC and other sites into thinking that your computer is in the UK and then you can enjoy the iplayer service and anything else that is for 'UK only'.
    these are rip-offs. They are just VPN services with a UK IP, that is it. I have a vpn service which gives me both a uk and a us ip address for US$60 a year.