Humidity in house

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Humidity in house

We moved to a new flat, but humidity seems to be very high here. The old flat had usually around 40%, but it is constantly 60% now.

Using dehumidifiers don't help much. Our air conditioning units may not be powerful enough to reduce humidity.

Is 60% humidity at home normal? We want to avoid having mould in our flat.

60% is absolutely fine. 40% is almost desert-like! You need 80%+ to get mould.

And in this sort of weather, open the windows!

This is a brand new building. Our air conditioning units are installed on the wall. They are not window units one.

As we live near the ocean, opening window makes humidity increase. I feel it is very humid here and try to keep the flat dry as much as possible.

60% is normal - where did you move here from Death Valley?

you should also avoid wallpaper - it soaks up humidty and allows mould to get a foothold..

we were required to strip the bedroom of the presupplied wallpaper petri dish experiment

I don't know how the OP is going to cope with June/July ...
    OP - maybe you need to book flights now!

Quote Originally Posted by Ahrens

As we live near the ocean, opening window makes humidity increase. I feel it is very humid here and try to keep the flat dry as much as possible.
    This comment does not make sense to me. I live on a BOAT (so probably much nearer the ocean than you!) and we have zero humidity problems.... so I think if the ocean was the culprit we might have noticed it by now!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    This comment does not make sense to me. I live on a BOAT (so probably much nearer the ocean than you!) and we have zero humidity problems.... so I think if the ocean was the culprit we might have noticed it by now!
    I also live by the sea and our humidity problems seem less than many others on here. As others have said, it is not very humid at the moment so if you are having problems now wait until the summer!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    Yep same with us, lived right by the sea for 6 years, never experienced any problems with humidity, or mould in any of our homes in Sai Kung or Siu Lam.

Sounds like water seepage to me, via an exterior wall membrane failure, or a neighbours leaking bathroom. The age of the building has little relevance, only the condition of the building does, and I can assure you, newer buildings are no guarantee from leaks, I hear from friends that many new places do leak during heavy rain, due to poor fitting tolerances of the windows, because of sloppy application of weatherproofing around the window casement.

Any number of scenario's but it sounds like you have a leak, which having experienced a leaking bath in one of our homes prior to renovation/moving in, will make the place humid with a distinct dampness/musty smell in the air. All fixed after finding the failure during total gutting of the bathroom in our case. Bath was seeping into the concrete of the master bedroom, just a trickle when the shower was used, but enough to make the place noticeably smell damp.

Possibly could be the same culprit, ie your bathroom or your upstairs neighbours is leaking seepage into the wall/floor, there's a source of moisture getting in from somewhere, best to inform the LL and get somebody to have a thorough look.

High humidity is why regular teddy bears are not popular here, they attract mold really quickly. There are special bag like versions that are humidity friendly you can get instead.

The important thing to do, as PDLM advised, is to keep the windows open. Always keep good air circulation and minimize the amount of fabric you have around the home.

If you think 60% is high wait for summer, 80-95+% ahoy!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast