Happened 6 times

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cathy789
    just Hk society and the way people are brought up here. DO NOT HELP STRANGERS.

Seriously. the kids in my school are told not to talk to strangers and to run away if one approaches them.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh gee! What kind of society is HK turning into? A complete cold, indifferent, and heartless one? It is ok to be careful but being overly paranoid is ridiculous. For goodness sake, what could possibly happen if a stranger ask you where to catch the bus for Wan
    Chai in front of hundred if not thousands of people? Those people whom I encountered where NOT kids; they were old men, and several young adults. I came from the USA and I knew better NOT to talk to kids.

On the other hand I have experienced some very helpful locals so there are clearly many exceptions to the rule.

Some of my English language students want to learn how to give directions to tourists so that they can help. Particularly when the tourists standing on a street corner with a map or staring blankly at the MTR maps. A friend from Shanghai was in Bristol, UK, and asked a local for directions in Bristol City centre. The person they asked wanted GBP 5 to give them directions.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    On the other hand I have experienced some very helpful locals so there are clearly many exceptions to the rule.
    ^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes indeed....as I mentioned at the beginning of this thread that in two separate times, two young men at the MTR vountarily showed me where and how to get to my destination and that's why I am so confused because of the two extremes.

I've heard differently about China. I've heard that NOT even the policemen are helpful to strangers in China. Someone told me that in China it was like a "swim or die" society.....you're on your own. I was in Guangzhou two years ago, and when someone wished to pass me on the sidewalk, he just simply pushed me to the side. Not once had anyone said "excuse me" (in Chinese) all the time I was in China.

i was once filling in applications for china visas for my two kids. as my kids are mixed they have both english and chinese names.

when it came to the part for filling in the chinese names, i had no idea how to write them. so, i approached a table of high school kids. i explained to them and they all very kindly went to work on figuring out which characters i needed (i knew what they looked like, just didn't know how to write them). they were very helpful.

the OP is very lucky that they folks he asked for directions didn't send him on a wild goose chase! usually they will point in any direction just to get rid of you.

ps> I ALWAYS stop and ask people who look lost (tourists with a map) if they need help. often people take me up on it, other times i get nasty looks and snappish answers. i guess they think i'm going to try to sell them something.

I too found that it was easier to ask questions to a group of people rather than to an individual. Perhaps a group of people feel more secure and is more willing to help.

Seriously. the kids in my school are told not to talk to strangers and to run away if one approaches them.
    I think also this has also to do with all these scams going on. It's a shame but Chinese people are mistrustful of one another.
    Over the past 10 years there has been a trend in "street scams" whereby total strangers approach you and basically tries to get your money with all kinds of ingenious scams

This is turning into yet another local culture bashing thread.

I rarely catch buses, but when I have asked for help it usually goes fine. But then, I tend to pick people who look like they are likely to be helpful- ideally, the guys who man bus booths, otherwise people who look 'approachable', i.e. relaxed, not carrying bags, perhaps a couple (safety in numbers and the male can demonstrate his knowledge/helpfulness in front of his partner). Or I ask in a shop where I've already had some interaction with the staff.

If people are litterally running away, this suggest more that the OP is either asking the wrong people, or he comes across as a tad scary.

This advice could be helpful when they are a kid, but unfortunately many locals keep on living by the rules they learned as a kid even when they become adults. They don't realize adults have a different role in life.

We do.....?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast