Like Tree2Likes

Happened 6 times

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad:
    muhahaha.

I'll file this along with 'I was in a bar in Wanchai and someone must have spiked my drink because the next thing I knew...'
    Oh, yeah...... and then I woke up right next to this amazing hot girl...

It is usually '..I woke up in a short-time at 2pm with my wallet empty - no idea what happened...'

@Renotommy

next time you ask for direction, hold one of those tourist maps in your hand & try to approach folks that are below their 40's, those older ones tend to become grumpy

or better yet just ask here

Quote Originally Posted by mengfei:
    @Renotommy

next time you ask for direction, hold one of those tourist maps in your hand & try to approach folks that are below their 40's, those older ones tend to become grumpy
    or better yet just ask here

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Actually I have had better luck with older Chinese women; worst luck with Chinese young women (especially those wearing wire-rim glasses) and older Chinese men. Tourist map wouldn't help because they never looked up.....as soon as I spoke the 1st word, they were already running away.

Hehe, it would be pretty difficult to ask the forum where to catch #182 bus in the middle of Waterloo Road.

I asked a guy sitting in one of those booths at the bus terminal; he too had NO clue where I could catch #182 in TST. I don't even know WHY he was there as he did not have a phone or computer to assist him to assist riders. The ONLY routes he knew were those at the terminal. Without a computer, no one can possibly memorize all the bus routes in HK. Life has become too complicated in HK or I must be getting too old.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    My comment wasn't actually directed at you so much as other posters. We're a whiney bunch on Geo and tend to moan about local culture a lot.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Human tend to whine about things that we're not accustomed to. At work, we whined about all those new things, then 6 months later the management decided to change everything back to the old ways. We whined even louder. Go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by dear giant:
    Sounds ridiculous to me, but I also thought that the South Asian "You have a very lucky face!" dudes were an urban legend until I was actually approached by one inside the Harbour City shopping mall several months back.
    What are these guys supposed to do? I had a guy come up to me with the whole 'lucky face' BS. After talking to me for a while he asked me for my phone - quite calmly and non threatening. Obviously I said no - was he trying some kind of wierd Jedi mind trick?

ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

now i see the problem!

you are correct, it is impossible to memorise all of the bus routes...so instead of asking for the #182, you say...
    "i need to go to XXX, which bus can i take?"

then you might get answers!

I don't know what "lucky face" scheme is in HK. Today was the 1st time that I've heard of it.

Bear in mind that a lot of HK younger people worship westerners and like to take every opportunity to practice their English. I suspect that was what triggered the two young Chinese guys being so helpful to us at the MTR station.

There are a lot of non-sense rumors circulating among local Chinese. One rumor had it that be careful speaking to a foreigner cos he might blow some marijuana smoke on you knocking you out and rape you.

Now, we've all heard about the "date rape" drugs and those are for real. If you are a young lady, I would be extra cautious go drinking with some strangers at a bar but NOTHING can even happen to you by speaking a few words to a stranger.

'Bear in mind that a lot of HK younger people worship westerners and like to take every opportunity to practice their English. I suspect that was what triggered the two young Chinese guys being so helpful to us at the MTR station.'

TOTALLY not true! yes, up north... not here in hk, i'm afraid.
    first off, they mostly prefer all things japanese.
    secondly, they are usually shy to the point of silliness when it comes to speaking english. (i've taught for almost 15 years here...)

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    'Bear in mind that a lot of HK younger people worship westerners and like to take every opportunity to practice their English. I suspect that was what triggered the two young Chinese guys being so helpful to us at the MTR station.'

TOTALLY not true! yes, up north... not here in hk, i'm afraid.
    first off, they mostly prefer all things japanese.
    secondly, they are usually shy to the point of silliness when it comes to speaking english. (i've taught for almost 15 years here...)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ok, I stand corrected. What a differnce did a couple of generations made. HK people used to worship the USA and despise Japanese. Are there a lot of HK youngster learning Japanese?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast