Like Tree2Likes

Happened 6 times

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

my friend's husband, a wealthy (VERY) business man, donated $100,000,000 (yes, you read that right) to the chinese university of hk in order to help establish and foster better relations and understanding between the two "countries". it was front page news here about 5 years ago. the amount of flack he took from a lot of the "older" population here was astonishing.

http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/ipro/pressrelease/050922e.htm

Last edited by carang; 11-01-2010 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Last year I was nearly thrown out of a taxi in Hangzhou because the driver thought I was Japanese.
    I find that quite bizarre!

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I find that quite bizarre!
    Not as much as I did. How do you convince someone you are not Japanese? The fact that I am a white anglo-saxon brit made it totally weird and reminded me of the monkey hangers of Hartlepool.

Hi,

Are there any Chinese civics textbooks in which the occurance of the Tiananmen Square massacre has been published and elaborated on?
    Posted via Mobile Device

I very much doubt it. The Strife (Shanghainese, similar age t' me) had no idea of the massacre in Tienanmen and when I first talked to her about it in '96 said it was just some bad students trying to cause trouble (she only left China in '95 to take up a position in Singers - thus how we met). She still finds it difficult to accept the Wonderful Government were at fault and that they were not somehow forced to have to slaughter thousands of their own people to maintain 'social harmony and prosperity'.

Last edited by Load Toad; 11-01-2010 at 11:00 PM.

Well... I don't hold her responsible for it. Do you?
    Posted via Mobile Device

No - she was a young student in Shanghai - what would she know of Beijing then?

Exactly. I'd like Tommy from Reno to consider that when he thinks of the Japanese.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    There is a huge difference though in my view between the Germans, who have fully admitted their past, made what reparations they can, and continue to teach and remind each other about it, and the Japanese who won't even admit they did anything wrong.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Thank you PDLM for your understanding.

For those who were NOT affected by either the Germans or the Japanese have NO right to even make comments about the calamities of WWII.

I am sorry for being rude but like my mother said, if you were NOT poked by a needle, you would NOT feel the pain. The needle poked my family very badly and listening to you guys making comments and excuses for the Japanese war crimes just infuriated me. At least I have the decency and courtesy NOT to tell a Jewish person whose family was slaughtered by the Nazi to forget about the Holocaust because it had been 50 years. Like PDLM said, the Japanese are STILL NOT a bit sorry for what they did to the millions of Chinese....unlike the current German government which is apologizing to the Jewish community profoundly. I bet if you would ask 1000 Japanese young persons, 990 of would not think whatever they did was wrong in WWII. Japanese mentality is, no matter what their country does is right.....loyal to the end.

I know I am making a lot of enemies by posting this but I really don't give a damn......you guys can red blob me all you want, but show some decency to the cilivian victims of WWII for God sake!

Tommy,

Please consider the conversation I just had with the Toad.

The Japanese Imperial Army and everything they stood for was evil and they were defeated.

As long as that whatchamacallit shrine is still around and the older generation of Japanese continue to mislead and 'miseducate' their offspring and those that followed, why hold today's Japanese youth responsible?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast