Happened 6 times

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Happened 6 times

I don't know if it was my luck or some sorta of phenomenon of HK. It happened to me about 6 times when I asked some passers-by about where to catch the bus to XXXX. Six different individuals would either completely ignore me or they kept saying, "I don't know, I don't know!" and then ran away literally. Is it impolite to ask strangers questions in HK? I used both English and Cantonese and still got the same treatment. All they had to say was, "I don't know" but they acted as if I was going to rape them.

Then in the MTR subway, I had two Chinese guys voluntary helped me on two separate occasions by very patiently showing me where and how to transfer routes to reach my destination.

Maybe they didn't know where XXXX was?

(1) they probably are not used to having strangers approach them
    (2) they may not have known where you are going or how to get there
    (3) they may have assumed that you didn't speak chinese (if you started in english) and just "escaped"... this happens to me frequently, even when i start in chinese simply because i'm white and no one expects white-folk to speak chinese

Yes, but Renotommy is, as I understand it, HK Chinese (albeit a long time absentee).

maybe he's just scary looking or has really bad BO/breath then?

no idea....

next time try it with your clothes on...

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    Yes, but Renotommy is, as I understand it, HK Chinese (albeit a long time absentee).
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are so correct.

When I was a kid growing up in HK, we tried to help strangers as much as possible unless we didn't feel right about one particular individual. Now, it is almost like a taboo. Very sad because we Chinese are supposed to be polite and courteous to others.

It's because HK people are timid and don't like to talk to strangers.

just Hk society and the way people are brought up here. DO NOT HELP STRANGERS.

Seriously. the kids in my school are told not to talk to strangers and to run away if one approaches them.

i agree that HK is not known for being helpfull to strangers. on the other hand...if you find a mainlander they will probably hold your hand and walk you there safely.

just different cultures at work.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast