Broadband Internet and TV

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Broadband Internet and TV

Hello everyone,

I m just having my flat in Hk central, and i m looking for an internet and tv provider.
    I have a icable plug in the flat (not working) and i don t know how to subscribe.
    I ve read that icable is not the best, netvigator and else seems to be interesting as well.
    Do i have to subscribe to icable since i have an icable plug already installed (no subcription)??
    I m looking for large bandwith and large scope of TV channels . What is the best ?
    Do i need to have a phone line first?

thanks for your help, i m a little lost seeing all those offers?

Mateo

iCable is the broadband/dial-up service and cabletv is the pay-tv service both provided by Wharf.
    Netvigator is the broadband and NOW broadband tv is the pay-tv both provided by PCCW.
    If you are a perfectionist for a quality video and audio signal go for cabletv.
    PCCW requires you to have a telephone line in order to get their Netvigator service. And you must have the Netvigator service before you can get the NOW broadband tv service.
    PCCW is available to most areas. Wharf's offerings are limited geographically.
    Wharf's customer service has always been appauling. PCCW's should have been better but is not and sometimes worse.
    CHeck out their websites for the channel content of their pay-tv and their download (and upload) speeds.

i'd go with netvigator/NOW, they're pretty sneaky but at least strike a fashionable pose.

you should be able to get decent deals on NOW which would include broadband TV and also internet connection at 6mbps for about $200 per mth. The channel subscriptions will be separate but shop for a package.

You will need to go with iCable if you are a English Premiership fan.

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    PCCW requires you to have a telephone line in order to get their Netvigator service. And you must have the Netvigator service before you can get the NOW broadband tv service.

this is not true...at least i know its not true for about 3 months

i moved here and setup with PCCW's NOW package.

I do not have a telephone line.
    I am paying about 200 and i have the 8 mb broadband connection as well as the NOW broadband TV....

it gave me a ton of channels that suck, and then i added a fe channels like hbo and cinemax and cartoon network only to find out they suck over here too.

in all honesty...i would just go with the best internet connection, and download all your tv shows. 99% of the time you can find a torrent for an episode/movie within 1 hour after airtime. and speeds have been good for me.

i usually watch my TV shows about 1 hour 15 mins after they air in USA (1 hour for someone to host and seed the torrent, and 15 mins to dl)

mattstewart,

Just out of curiosity, is there anything about your Hong Kong experience so far that doesn't "suck"? Or shall we just take it that what you were really hoping for when you came here was a clone of a US city, and that "suck" essentially means "different from the US"?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    mattstewart,

Just out of curiosity, is there anything about your Hong Kong experience so far that doesn't "suck"? Or shall we just take it that what you were really hoping for when you came here was a clone of a US city, and that "suck" essentially means "different from the US"?

hmmm...couldnt disagree with you any more...pdlm

i hate living in america for most reasons....and i actually prefered living in china, but HK is a close runner up.

on that note, i think it is ok to not like certain attributes about a place or thing.

i myself am a huge movie nut, and good tv shows....currently hooked on "Bleach" btw

but...if i had known that the TV here is highly censored and junky...then i would have done what i suggested as opposed to signing a contract for 18 months.

i strongly disagree with censorship in art. there are ways to tell people not to watch if you are offended by these things, and to actually chop and kill a directors work is like painting a mustache on mona lisa

that being said.....i love HK life, will be much happier when mg gf moves out here with me, but i do love it here

if you want to talk about banking, and censorship...then yes...not thrilled, although im finding the banking thing may not be as bad as i was led to believe...

do you love every single aspect of HK?

and i laugh at your comment about a clone of the USA....
    i actually would prefer if there were no foreigners here (except me ), and there was no pizza hut, mcdonalds, coke, etc.....hence why i prefered living in the village in china where i was a few years back.

And there's no censorship in mainland China?

i never said that, but in china mainland i never order TV cause i knew it would be bad

instead i used the internet cafes to d/l all my stuff or buy the DVD's unedited

i know its a crazy idea to love living in a place where there are things you dont like or think "suck" :P

Internet cafes that allow you to insert removable media - hmmm ... the world has nothing to fear from the Middle Kingdom after all.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast