Like Tree4Likes

Many people dont know their blood groups!

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Not only people who lived in the UK are exluded, but also people who lived anywhere in Europe for more than five years between 1980 and 1996.

My blood type (A negative) is quite rare (0.17%) in Hong Kong, and considering that Caucasians are way more likely to be RH negative than Chinese (1 in 7 as opposed to 1 in 370), exluding the possible donors seems quite scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallflower:
    Not only people who lived in the UK are exluded, but also people who lived anywhere in Europe for more than five years between 1980 and 1996.

My blood type (A negative) is quite rare (0.17%) in Hong Kong, and considering that Caucasians are way more likely to be RH negative than Chinese (1 in 7 as opposed to 1 in 370), exluding the possible donors seems quite scary.
    As another negative here - I agree! Us negatives need blood from other negatives (positives can take either) so we need donors yet I'm not allowed to donate! That's dumb. Why can't the european expats donate blood just for other expats, if nobody else wants to take the risk on our blood! (I'd happily take blood from someone who lived in the UK if the alternative was dying on the spot).
    hongkonghill likes this.

All hospitals with emergency departments have a blood bank on site which carries a large stock of blood of the different blood types - although obviously they would have more of the most commen A and O types.

In an emergency situation even someone who is rhesus negative can take positive blood. After a number of days you would however develop antibodies to rhesus positive blood (meaning you couldn't have it again in future) so it woulld be a last resort.

Group O red cells (without plasma) can also be given to anyone of another group, although the preference is for blood to be matched if possible.

I just want to reassure people that hospital staff wouldn't let you die on the spot just because they didn't have A or any other negative blood on the shelves.

I don't know my blood type. I remember a few years back I had a body check in Toronto, I asked the doctor what my blood type was. He told me, bloodtypes are not so simple anymore, not only A B O blah blah blah... there are many more groups of blood so knowing your major blood type serves no purpose.

I still want to know though... thinking of ordering an online at home test just for fun and waste of money lol.

I'm sure in a situation where you are giving blood, the hospital will definitely check it first. At least to make sure you don't have like AIDS or something right? Who's gonna just take your word for it?... Not me. So really other than feeding your own curiosity, knowing your blood type really serves no practical purpose.

(but again I would still like to know)

OK, so if you can't give blood because of draconian paranoia how do you find out what your blood type is?

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    As another negative here - I agree! Us negatives need blood from other negatives (positives can take either) so we need donors yet I'm not allowed to donate! That's dumb. Why can't the european expats donate blood just for other expats, if nobody else wants to take the risk on our blood! (I'd happily take blood from someone who lived in the UK if the alternative was dying on the spot).
    I'd also be happy to take European blood, after all, that's what I'd get back home anyway. And I'd love to be able to give blood if my little daughter needed it.

While I lived in South Korea, although theoretically they didn't want my blood, I was put on a list so I could be contacted to donate blood in case of serious emergency. And lo and behold, they were desperate enough to call.

Quote Originally Posted by octarine:
    If they cared about donating blood, then they'd already know their blood type.
    I care, and I don't know mine. But that's because I am banned for life because I'm a gay man. Too bad I did not spend a dozen years as a heterosexual prostitute - then I could donate.

So I totally understand the idiocy of those global UK bans as well.

Wishing I could donate on a regular basis, I remain...

-Spode

Quote Originally Posted by Stu79:
    OK, so if you can't give blood because of draconian paranoia how do you find out what your blood type is?
    Go see a GP and ask for a blood test?

Edit: Or if doctors scare you, you could use something like this:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/8f3d/

I remember we did something similar in biology class back in secondary school. Didn't get the Rh factor back then though.
    Last edited by Sunfire; 03-02-2010 at 06:20 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5