Vonage in HK - help please

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

If you want to keep your cell phone number without the cell service, then you have to port the number somewhere. Vonage's cheapest plan is $14.99 plus a few bucks in taxes, so that might be the best option for you.

By the way, if you need someone to refer you to sign up for Vonage, I would be happy to (just need your email address) Disclosure: I get two months free service while you get one month free. Not sure if you can get a better deal by signing up direct though.

Just an observation that for stephinpdx's US$40 per month you would get about an hour a day of calls to or from the US from PCCW or a US-based calling card. Do you guys really spend that long on the phone to the US every single day?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    Just an observation that for stephinpdx's US$40 per month you would get about an hour a day of calls to or from the US from PCCW or a US-based calling card. Do you guys really spend that long on the phone to the US every single day?
    I think there are two issues here. One is cheap phone calls and the other is keeping one's phone number.

For cheap phone calls, the most ideal solution is to use skype, googletalk or one of the other similar VOIP services, since they are free for PC to PC calling.

Though I love my cell phone #, I dont know if I want to pay $15 a month to keep it. Oh well, my billing cycle is about to end so must decide this week.

PCCW charges about $.30 a min for calls to the US after the initial customer time period - how do we get them to give us the $0.02 a min charge after the 3 month trial period??????

I use Broadvoice and was recently contacted by Netvigator
    Cs who informed me that I should stop using a VOIP adapter as it was not permitted. He also informed me that as of Feb 06 Voip boxes will not work with their internet service.

Technically, Skype (unlike Vonage) is completely unblockable since it uses the same ports as all other web traffic.

I've described many times what I think causes PCCW to continue giving me HK$0.17 to UK/US/Can/Aus: subscribe to a service such as 0080 from HGC and use it occasionally from your PCCW line. The offers should start to appear.

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK
    I use Broadvoice and was recently contacted by Netvigator
    Cs who informed me that I should stop using a VOIP adapter as it was not permitted. He also informed me that as of Feb 06 Voip boxes will not work with their internet service.
    Not permitted???

I hope this is not true. I will be extremely hacked if they cut off my VOIP.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    Technically, Skype (unlike Vonage) is completely unblockable
    This is what the PCCW guy said to me. They seem to have an issue with VOIP services like Vonage, At&T, Broadvoice and others. He claimed that these are blockable and will be blocked next year. I might move to a different ISP if this happens but am not sure if the others will eventually do the same.

Why are they blocking VOIP like vonage? Isn't VOIP like this popular in HK?

It doesn't even use that much bandwidth. What a crock of sh*t!

What are some other good ISPs that have good connectivity to the U.S.?

My ISP is part of Hutchison, that isn't part of PCCW right?

Last edited by ohchk2001; 18-12-2005 at 06:17 PM.

ohchk2001,

Is it really not obvious to you why the telecoms company would want to block Vonage? PCCW still makes a significant proportion of its revenue from international phonecalls.

PCCW is only part of Hutchison in so far as the Chairman of PCCW is the son of the Chairman of Hutchison.

Last edited by PDLM; 19-12-2005 at 10:40 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast