Like Tree1Likes

CNY good/bad time to arrive?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I should add I will be staying for a month (whoops sorry).

It sounds like the CNY holiday is a few days only, that's fine by me. Over on the mainland it's 1 week of holiday, and I believe 1 further week of celebrations but back at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Renotommy:
    Katie:

Are most restaurants in HK open during the first 3 days of CNY?
    I think things have changed since then. The first day of CNY is like christmas in other countries and most places will be closed - the exception being the hotels which nowadays offer a good choice of good food and there's a lot of them. Restaurants start re-opening on the second and third days because it's a holiday and a lot of Hong Kongers like to eat out now. The smaller places, family-run restaurants, street stalls etc will be closed for all 3 days, some of them will even take a longer break, but many places are back to normal by the 3rd day.
    Renotommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brace4impact:
    I should add I will be staying for a month (whoops sorry).

It sounds like the CNY holiday is a few days only, that's fine by me. Over on the mainland it's 1 week of holiday, and I believe 1 further week of celebrations but back at work.
    It's hit and miss. The public holiday is only the 3 days, but some businesses are staying shut for the week and quite a few people will be taking extra holiday. To be safe, I'd consider the week of 13 - 20 Feb as a bad time to job hunt.

Thanks Katie, that's what I will be doing.