Like Tree12Likes

Octopus Card

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rasbro:
    a bit paranoid are we?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

One can never be too careful.

Last week, someone in Pennsylvania attempted to use my Chase BP Visa to purchase $250 worth of groceries. Strange thing was that, I have the VISA card in my wallet so the number must be stolen and a fake card was made. Fortunately, it was an out-of-area purchase and thus the transaction was denied. After confirmation with me, the account number was changed and cancelled.

I don't know much about HK, but ID theft in the US is getting to be so devastating and damaging to our economy that I don't blame both the issuers and individuals are more vigilant.

a bit paranoid are we?
    The police used Octopus card records to help catch the acid throwing guys.

Having everything linked leaves an electronic trail that could have a domino effect if something goes wrong.

Also, data is used by marketers, whether you know it or not, to find out about you. The supermarkets and credit card companies (also Moneyback Card) know more about you than you know yourself.

Statisticians and Analysts who are into this sort of thing love supermarkets and credit cards because of what it tell about you. And of course the marketers love it. They know, for instance if you eat at a particular restaurant, what the likelihood of you not paying off your credit card each month. Or if you are a good target, for say, a wine promotion.

Yep, we are being deprived of our privacy more and more in this electronic society. It's true that by linking the Octopus card, it sure gives you some limited amount of benefits, e.g. cash rewards, etc. but then next thing you know, the telemarketers are calling you all the time while you're having dinner.

Does HK have the "No call" registry? Once a phone number is registere with the authorities, telemarketers are prohibited to make sales calls to that number? Violations can be very costly (to the telemarketers).

What have you got to hide rasbro? What secrets would you rather not have in the public domain?

a bit paranoid are we?
    You don't value your privacy?

You won't mind if I check your bank account, health records, police check records, immigration status, and those of your children as well, and share them with all my mates then

Quote Originally Posted by Renotommy:
    Does HK have the "No call" registry?
    Only for SMS, fax and pre-recorded voice messages, not for live ones.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:

You won't mind if I check your bank account, health records, police check records, immigration status, and those of your children as well, and share them with all my mates then

Now that would be a bloody great night out.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:

You can do all that if I gave you my Octopus card? Impressive.

If you have a car and plan to park in public car parks, u must have an octopus card or u wont get in to some of them.

Once you decide to live in the "modern era" you are essentially agreeing to part with alot of your privacy. Personally, I'm fine with that.
    Agencies (Government and otherwise) are able to get a heck of a lot of information about you, adding your Octopus and store rewards points is just cream on the cake.
    If you want privacy, it's too late. Those who think they are "off the grid", good luck to you..