Like Tree12Likes

Octopus Card

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

If you don't like giving up privacy what are you doing in HK where you have to have an HKID with your fingerprints?

I also use it as my library card. Yikes, the government knows what books I am reading. I am in favour of privacy but hardly worried about my Octopus card with my name on it (which I had to have so I could exit and enter my prior flat).

It's one thing to follow the law (HKID). It's another to dive headfirst into commercial information gathering (store cards, Octopus linked to bank account). Your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    It's one thing to follow the law (HKID). It's another to dive headfirst into commercial information gathering (store cards, Octopus linked to bank account). Your choice.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree 100%.

I never broke any laws and have nothing to hide, so I don't mind the government keeps a personal tab on me......which in this state and age is quite inevitable. But I'll sure try to prevent to give the telemarketers more OPPORTUNITIES to obtain my phone number so I can be annoyed by their relentless calls.

The old 'nothing to hide / nothing to fear' defence of data collection is tired and misses the point.
    We are should be entitled to privacy.
    Governments and corporations have a poor track record on the legitimate and responsible use of personal data. They often manage to lose data, sell data, decide that data they have can be used in ways which are outside the reasons it was collected.
    It's rather sad that people are so compliant.

robert said just about exactly what i would have. privacy no longer really exists.
    not that i wish to, but there is not a lot you can do about it.
    if it makes you feel better not to register your octopus to reward points, that's fine. personally, my octopus is registered under my name and has my photo on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad:
    What have you got to hide rasbro? What secrets would you rather not have in the public domain?
    not sure where exactly you got this idea. i simply stated that i thought it was a bit much to be concerned about what a grocer could tell about you by using your octopus card.
    GeorgeLo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    ...but I wouldn't link it to anything that identifies me.
    Do you have a mobile phone which doesn't use a pay as you go sim card? If you are on contract, even better if you have a data plan as well, then "they" can learn lots about you. Not just location depending on cell site used but websites accessd using your mobile, sms sent and calls received/made.

The counter argument is very simple - why should they? What business is it of theirs? 'Some entities' is a very wide scope - if I choose them to not know that should be sufficient.

dear giant likes this.

Guess we can conclude by saying that there are two schools of thought at opposite extremes here, when it comes to privacy issues. Without judging either side:

1- What's mine is mine, what's yours is yours: Stay out of my life, if there's something about me that I need you to know, rest assured that you will. Otherwise it is none of your business.

2- Life's too short to get your knickers in a twist over this: Who gives a damn about telemarketers, the CIA or Big-Brother-up-north. Heck I could f*ck around and have me a little fun at their expense (probably not applicable to the CIA and Big Brother to the north).
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Dreadnought; 05-02-2010 at 09:10 PM.

And then there is those of us who just use Octopus with AAVS because its a bloody convenient payment method. Thats it.

Octopus with AAVS is no more or less private than a credit card. It just allows lower $$ value and faster validation of payment than traditonal credit cards.

So do all of you guys whinging about privacy not have credit cards as well??

MovingIn07 and md23 like this.