Proper Gratuity

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK
    Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    But, to be fair, that'd depends on the wage structure of the industry/country.
    If the waiting staff are being paid decently, then u can argue that the 10% went into contribution of their pay.

In countries where the waiting staff are paid the minimum wages and live on the expected tips, then its fair that tips are given to the waiting staff directly.

Shld not compare apple to oranges.
    Why then the charade of a "service charge" when it is not for any particular purpose and should just be built into the price? No one's comparing apples to oranges and ignoring relative wage structure differences - just pointing out that the generally universal assumption that service charge stands for tips to wait-staff should be taken with a pinch of salt, at least in HK. In HK it's often a gimmick and a con!
    Last edited by HKFella; 30-12-2005 at 02:17 PM.

i personally cant afford to be paying extra tips! If there is no service charge included i would only tip if extremely impressed with the service. If there is service charge then i would never leave a tip - and for those that are saying that service charge isnt always given to the waiters then they shouldnt be calling it service charge!

on the note about US taxes.. The UK isnt so bad but it does have VAT which is a bitch! All i want to see happen is when you see the price of something whether it be a TV or a Burger i want the price it is listed it to be the price you have to pay! how hard is that to do?? Why cant everyone start being more honest..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3