Learning Mandarin

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Smile

Not trying to outdo you danklinck. Honest!! but I had a quick look on limewire for pimsleur mandarin and the problem I noticed was that the mandarin course is not seeded very well, that is, there are not many people offering it, so it would take a very long time to download. Plus the course which consists of many lessons is scattered over many files and I'm not even sure if the whole course is available.

So I would stick with the Bit Torrent download. If the torrent file opens ok, it would be far more stable and faster, plus you got the entire course on one file.

Try the Usenet instead. You'll need a (decent) news reader.

news://alt.binaries.world-languages

Alternatively sign-up with Easynews and they provide a web based interface to newsgroups. Pimsleur Level I and II were both uploaded to the above newsgroup within the last 2 weeks.

pimsleur vs bit torrent

bbc guy u could be right, i pulled mine off the net several months ago ... works great, as well, from limewire, there is a book photocopied into adobe files, lol, called "learn to speak chinese" book 1. there are 2 audio cds with it.

what's funny is that i went shopping for mandarin stuff here in hk, bought the book "learn to speak chinese" without realizing it was the same one. .. i hate that when they keep the book in wrapped in plastic!

well, i actually found the best and cheapest way to learn mandarin ... by any book as a guide, but it takes practice ... so if you can't find a mandarin girlfriend, go onto www.skype.com and you can find chinese people willing to teach you very very easily and free ... have a good one, it works really well for me!

Mmmm...so no one has any info on the language schools here in HK?
    Thank you for all of your suggestions.

Hey! I am joining this one:

Mandarin Beginners Level 1 to Level 4 for Exp (Intensive Course)
    Duration : 40 sessions, 8 weeks
    Days & Times, Monday - Friday, 9:00am - 11:00am or 11:00am - 1:00pm or 2:00pm - 4:00pm (1 hr teaching + 1 hr conversation and 1 hr lab)
    Course Fee : HK$7,600- (material fee included)
    ======================================

May be, even you can consider doing this one or some other course from HKLLC. They have various options. Check-out their website once..

I had a question, though.The HKLLC guys say that after this course, i'll be able to speak simple sentences and make simple conversations in Mandarin. I was wondering if that's enough to get a job here, in HK, which requires Mandarin skills. I mean, do they all want advanced level Mandarin or even the beginner's level will do?

Thanks for any replies to this!

would still maintain that the Pimsleur courses are better than any course you could attend, but if you enjoy the activity of meeting and interacting with fellow learners, that's understandable. The CIA and FBI with their unlimited resources do not use Pimsleur because they are the second best option after language schools run by the local college. Pimsleur are de facto the most effective tools available for learning a foreign language for English speakers.

I think it might be a touch over optimistic to think that a 2 month course can equip you with enough skills to land you a job. Being able to book a hotel room or ask directions to the nearest Starbucks is not what I think employers mean. 'Mandarin skills' is generally aimed at HK applicants being fully conversant in Mandarin because there will be business done on the mainland, or being able to answer queries from mainland, either on phone or in person. If business was at stake, would you, if you were an employer, send someone up to the mainland with Mickey Mouse mandarin, or have them on the front desk answering the phone? I think these courses are intended for simply travel and to give you a very basic grounding in the long, arduous process of learning a foreign language. Wouldn't really get your hopes up too high with these, excellent though they may be.

Your contention sounds reasonable, bbc_guy. And this means, more trouble for me!! ( I don't think I'd like to spend 2 months for the beginner's + 2 for intermediate + 2 for the advanced level of Mandarin!! Spending 6 months, just to learn a language - sounds boring to me. Instead, may be I'll try using the Pimsleur suggested by you and so many others here. I downloaded it 2 days back and tried it out yesterday...wasn't too impressed with it but, that's more coz' my speakers aren't good enough to help me clearly understand the Mandarin words!!

Hey! but, again, the same question for this one...will listening to all 3 parts of Pimsleur Mandarin help me speak fluently...I mean, if I genuinely listen to them and learn!!?? Does it help reach the professional level - as needed in offices to interact with business people in the Mainland? I hopw it does...or else, I'll really have to sit and think of some other option. If this Mandarin thing fails, I'll have to seriously decide on taking-up the US CPA training course..let's see!

Do get back with advice, people!!

what kind of job are you looking at that requires mandarin skills. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but most expats do not have to speak mandarin for work. Expats are hired for their expertise in a given area, not for their ability to communicate in Chinese. If communication was critical in a job on the mainland where you are the expert, there'd be either translators or locals at hand who speak good enough english that you wouldn't need to use what mandarin you know. So my guess is that, like I said, if a job calls for mandarin skills, they are most probably looking for a local with full proficiency, which most local graduates have. An expat worker is not expected to know mandarin.

I am a Professional Accountant and am looking at accounting/ financial industry jobs. The sad part is, the Institute of Chartered Accountants of my country is not formally recognised in HK and so, I guess, they don't give too much weightage to my degree, as they would give to a CA from HK itself. Secondly, I have 3 years of work experience but, no local exp. in HK...which is what recruiters/ employers point-out in me many a times.

Given all these factors, I had to choose something which can make a meaningful difference to my resume AND something at which the HK locals themselves are not very good...so, thought of these Mandarin classes. Interestwise, I, too, am not keen to learn the language...no way! Had I got a job without knowing the local language...I'd have been the happiest person.

I guess, Mandarin knowledge + US CPA should be of some help to me....right? You can think of learning Mandarin as a step towards making my resume more marketable...think of it from that angle and suggest...

Thanks a ton!

Thumbs up Mandarin Conversation Club (MCC)

Hey I just learned of this and thought you would like to know....

Speak Mandarin?
    Interested in getting together socially and meeting new people?
    Join the Mandarin Conversation Club (MCC).
    Every Monday 7pm to 9pm.
    @ 1/5 bar – 9 Star Street, Wanchai.
    Next meeting: Monday 16th January.
    (No meeting 30th Jan, because of Chinese New Year.)

Everyone is welcome, from beginners to native speakers. The only rule is that no other language than Mandarin should be used during the evening.
    No charge, just buy your own drinks & it's Happy Hour.
    Just come along or contact [email protected]
    for more information.
    Looking forward to seeing you there.