View Poll Results: What is a socially acceptable attitude to drinking and driving?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's acceptable to judge whether you are OK to drive after some drinks

9 17.65%
  • If you drink you don't drive, period.

39 76.47%
  • Something else (please elaborate in a reply)

3 5.88%
Like Tree24Likes

Drinking & driving - what is acceptable these days?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

...i was disqualified for dd many years ago...i lost my job, and the respect of a lot of friends and family...i think anyone caught dd should be punished, severely...as has been pointed out, we have an excellent transport system here, and more taxi's than you can shake a sick at...dd costs lives...

I dont think anyone is saying "Driving drunk is ok" however there are some of us out there that know their bodies well enough to judge where their limits are.

The question is one of zero tolerence (no alcohol at all) vs knowing yourself (one or 2 is OK).

Personally speaking, at the age of 40, I know myself pretty well.
    I weigh in excess of 100kg and know full well that 2 beers or 2 glasses of wine within about 60-90 minutes does nothing at all. In past years, I used to drive happily under those conditions.

Alas, this is HongKong, home of the cheap taxis and I dont have a car so the point is moot for me.

HC

I would question the poster’s motivation in setting up this so-called poll.

There’s quite a different version of events on another forum (linked on his blog).It’s where PDLM/Smog is recording the ‘score’ of all the respondents on this site – in my view, mining their emotions to settle a personal squabble by means of his tendentious questionnaire.

The truly appalling experiences of some Geoexpats are being put to use and trivialized. Beware.

They are being put to use, sure - in an effort to shame a drink driver out of his habit.

Trivialized? I don't see how. Getting drink drivers off the road is not a trivial matter.

If, in fact, I am wrong, and the clear view of the majority of people is that drinking and driving is OK, then I will happily admit that I was wrong to label it "socially unacceptable", and that I am out of touch with prevailing norms on this issue.

At the moment though that's not what I'm seeing.

Last edited by PDLM; 22-02-2010 at 11:28 AM.

I've read all through this and the blogs and see nothing wrong in this poll. In fact it does give a relatively good idea of the social acceptability of such actions in today's world.

By his own admission the other blogger said two drinks sent him high as he was tired and then he later states that he was stone cold sober when he drove his car home. This to me is the crux. The blogger took it on himself to judge when he was stone cold sober, as do most drink drivers. It's a bloody dangerous game to play and that excuse has been played many times on the back of many tragedies.

Quote Originally Posted by araucaria:
    I would question the poster’s motivation in setting up this so-called poll.

There’s quite a different version of events on another forum (linked on his blog).It’s where PDLM/Smog is recording the ‘score’ of all the respondents on this site – in my view, mining their emotions to settle a personal squabble by means of his tendentious questionnaire.

The truly appalling experiences of some Geoexpats are being put to use and trivialized. Beware.
    To be fair - he did say in his original post that this is what he was going to use the data for!

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    By his own admission the other blogger said two drinks sent him high as he was tired and then he later states that he was stone cold sober when he drove his car home. This to me is the crux. The blogger took it on himself to judge when he was stone cold sober, as do most drink drivers. It's a bloody dangerous game to play and that excuse has been played many times on the back of many tragedies.
    Moreover, he has now admitted in a post on the other forum (now linked in a comment on my blog - not sure I can link it directly here) that his girlfriend who was with him suggested that they take a taxi home, but that he managed to persuade her that he was fit to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Personally speaking, at the age of 40, I know myself pretty well.
    I weigh in excess of 100kg and know full well that 2 beers or 2 glasses of wine within about 60-90 minutes does nothing at all. In past years, I used to drive happily under those conditions.
    Isn't that what they all say, they know how much they can take, that it doesn't affect them, that they are fit to drive ... ?
    Until the time comes and your reaction time - which you can't judge - is suddenly longer and BANG ....
    MovingIn07, carang, jaykay and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    Isn't that what they all say, they know how much they can take, that it doesn't affect them, that they are fit to drive ... ?
    Until the time comes and your reaction time - which you can't judge - is suddenly longer and BANG ....
    Exactly. This is exactly the problem.

If you've been drinking, you're not fit to judge how drunk you are. The fact that the first couple of drinks boost confidence, self-image and the willingness to take risks is also a good reason not to get behind the wheel.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast