Like Tree4Likes

freaking streesed in hk

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

freaking streesed in hk

now i study in hk and i found out this place can make you freaking streesed out.
    everyday is so busy and you have to face many pressures from all aspects:study,life,friends...
    i believe you guys work in hk must can feel more pressure than me as a student...
    but can anybody tell me how you adjust yourself when you r streesed out?

I go hiking on my own to get fresh air and quiet, and clear my head.

if you don't want to exert the energy of hiking, or just have limited time, sometimes i walk down to the waterfront and just sit and chill for a while, maybe read. or catch a bus to the beach or to the peak and do the same.

this is the one thing that after so many years still bother me....This place is crazy and extremely stressful. Sure PCCW can come and fix your internet at 10 PM on a sunday night but for everything you have to "fight". It never comes easy....(even if your wife is a local).
    You get used to it but from time to time you still need to clear your head.

my 2 best options:
    weekend to macao
    Hiking for a few hours

dear giant likes this.

A few hours with some close friends with whom you can have a few laughs over a nice meal and some drinks is how I like to wrap up my week on a Friday night. You need to get your mind off the serious stuff now and then.

Hiking in the country-side or lazing in the pool (summer) on the weekend, just forgeting about everything, I highly recommend it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

If you're not the active type and so don't fancy hiking, the day after all your current assignments are done, stay home, turn your mobile off, don't check email/facebook/geoexpat, watch rubbish tv/films and just relax.

If you want to get out and about, do something very Hong Kong and have what I call a 'Hong Kong moment' - star ferry, the Peak, a temple in the NT, etc...anything that makes you remember what it is that you love about being in HK...

Quote Originally Posted by nina_mikou:
    now i study in hk and i found out this place can make you freaking streesed out.
    everyday is so busy and you have to face many pressures from all aspects:study,life,friends...
    i believe you guys work in hk must can feel more pressure than me as a student...
    but can anybody tell me how you adjust yourself when you r streesed out?
    i find life in London way more stressful. a simple journey on the tube ... a simple phone call to the local authority or to any call centres (banks / water companies ... etc) can drive me nuts coz people are so damn stupid & things are outrageously inefficient

haven't had the need to de-stress myself in hk yet but guess a trip to 1 of the outer islands & beaches will help

Its not a hong kong thing per se. It's a metropolis thing and a welcome to the real world thing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Actually if the OP is busy all the time, except may be from the pressure of work or deadlines, how can she be all stressed out? Time should go by fast for her.

Wait until you come to the little towns USA where they are -10 degrees outside with 5-6 feet of snow. You're trapped in your house for days sometimes without electricity, (thus NO TV, NO internet). Even in summer time, all the shops and businesses are closed at 5 pm on weekdays, open 1/2 day on Sat. and closed all day Sunday. You can't find a soul anywhere downtown or anywhere else. Now that's boring and stressful day after day, week after week living like that.

The 4 weeks we were in HK, we never had a stressful or boring moment because there were so many things to do or see. If worse comes to worst, take a walk down Nathan Rd at night or have a drink in LKF, or hike around the NT/outer islands - like other members suggested. If you're still bored, then you may have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Renotommy:
    Actually if the OP is busy all the time, except may be from the pressure of work or deadlines, how can she be all stressed out? Time should go by fast for her.

Wait until you come to the little towns USA where they are -10 degrees outside with 5-6 feet of snow. You're trapped in your house for days sometimes without electricity, (thus NO TV, NO internet). Even in summer time, all the shops and businesses are closed at 5 pm on weekdays, open 1/2 day on Sat. and closed all day Sunday. You can't find a soul anywhere downtown or anywhere else. Now that's boring and stressful day after day, week after week living like that.

The 4 weeks we were in HK, we never had a stressful or boring moment because there were so many things to do or see. If worse comes to worst, take a walk down Nathan Rd at night or have a drink in LKF, or hike around the NT/outer islands - like other members suggested. If you're still bored, then you may have a problem.
    For goodness sake - you are comparing being on HOLIDAY with living and working and studying here! NO COMPARISON.

To the OP - the hiking options are also my stress-out options. You are just walking, one foot in front of the other, not really thinking about anything other than where to put the next foot or the view ... it's very theraputic. But if you don't like hiking - try some other sport (exercise is well known to be a stress-buster - much more so than sitting around "relaxing") - squash or whatever you enjoy - get a good adrenalin burst and then a good night's sleep.

Alternatively, I'd recommend the book "Don't stress the small stuff" - it's all about changing our mindset and view of the world to help you have a less stressful life. Some of the tips in there could be quite helpful.
    dear giant likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast