Like Tree7Likes

Cultural question

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Cultural question

Having a meal with my eldest who was twiddling with her fork while waiting for the food to come. Chinese man (possibly ABC) on next table suddenly shouts at her saying she is damaging the table cloth (although there was absolutely no damage to it as she was not putting any pressure on the fork).

Question: is it culturally OK here for people to shout at kids they do not know in front of their parents or was he just an arrogant shit?

Most definitely the latter. If he'd have caught your attention and had a quiet word with you then that's different. But to shout at the child is totally unacceptable. Arrogant shit is an understatement!

He was an arrogant shit. Kids can be annoying though. People should really address the parents if they have a problem with a child's behaviour.

You should have told him where to go.

I hope you told him - in a manner appropriate for a child's presence, of course - to go fuck himself.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Having a meal with my eldest who was twiddling with her fork while waiting for the food to come. Chinese man (possibly ABC) on next table suddenly shouts at her saying she is damaging the table cloth (although there was absolutely no damage to it as she was not putting any pressure on the fork).

Question: is it culturally OK here for people to shout at kids they do not know in front of their parents or was he just an arrogant shit?
    He may well have a mental problem causing him to act creepy. Nevertheless I would still have told him to eff himself and back off. These tough guys wouldnt generally pick n an adult.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by Sigga:
    He was an arrogant shit. Kids can be annoying though. People should really address the parents if they have a problem with a child's behaviour.

You should have told him where to go.
    I did tell him to mind his own business and when his wife (who looked really embarrassed) said it was just a difference of opinion I said he should keep his opinions to himself. Luckily my wife was not there, I really hate to think what she would have done but it would have involved violence I am sure. I still remember her pinning the manager of the passport office behind his desk for a couple of hours because her passport was not ready on time. Security came in but then wisely decided to back out again.

I agree on the kids, but really she was just sitting there quietly twiddling with her fork offending no-one (well obviously him). The kids are brought up to respect their elders so she said nothing back to him and just put her fork down.

as a mother, i would have taken a strip off him from top to toe.

it is OK to stop others' children from doing something that could be dangerous or something like that, but if he had yelled at my child, there would have been no stopping him.

once at a shop that was filled with kids' stuff, my helper took my daughter in to buy something. my daughter was looking at the cards on one of the spinning displays. the store clerk yelled at my daughter. my helper got mad at the clerk. then she told me what happened and i went in with guns blazing. it wasn't like my daughter was running around the shop pulling things off the shelf, even is she had been, a nice, "excuse me, sweetheart, please don't do that, something might break." would have been more appropriate than screaming at a 2.5 year old. needless to say, we have NOT been back to that shop and never will go there again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfire:
    I hope you told him - in a manner appropriate for a child's presence, of course - to go fuck himself.
    you shoulda told him "Shut ur goddamn mouth or else im going to kick u square in the balls!. *ssh*le!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Surely the gentleman should have been told to "go fork" himself.

>> you shoulda told him "Shut ur goddamn mouth or else im going to kick u square in the balls!. *ssh*le!

>> it would have involved violence

And what would all of this teach a child???

This is not the first time or the last time they're going to get yelled at, as children or as adults. Sure you need to protect them, but I think it is better to handle this peacefully.

I'd have told the man that it is my job to handle my child. And I'd have told my child to ignore the comments that the man made. At some point a child does have to learn to ignore the bullshit around them...

Whats with all this violence and in your face behaviour? Are we forgetting we're in Hong Kong?

MovingIn07 and Football16 like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast