Like Tree1Likes

Bun Bo Hue in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wink Bun Bo Hue in Hong Kong

Hey folks,

I know it's a random request, but have anyone had decent Bún bò Huế in Hong Kong?

So far, I've had BBH in a Vietnamese restaurant in Harbour City, TST, one in Prince Edward, a few places in Wan Chai and CWB, etc. all were very, very disappointing. Closest thing to BBH was at Lee Kam Kee in Yau Ma Tei.

Please do share if you know of a place with decent to great Bún bò Huế in Hong Kong!

I like the one in the vietnamese restaurant on Percival in CWB. I think it's called Perfume River or Garden.

Try Kowloon City for Thai and Vietmanese, it's the only place to go for authentic asian. I couldn't recommend a place though.

thundacatchergo likes this.

I love BBH and have searched high and low in HK for good vietnamese food but to my dismay I might as well wait to eat BBH or good pho when i'm back in LA. If you do come across an authentic vietnamese restaurant please pass on the good news!

...Joining this thread simply because i grew up in California spoiled by great Vietnamese food within five minute's drive from any possible given location, and I'd love to know about good Vietnamese food out here in HK.

The only Viet restaurant I've been to so far that I found acceptable enough to go back to when I simply need my fix (not saying it's authentic at all, but I thought it was decent enough to get the job done in desperation, for me at least) is Nha Trang Vietnamese Restaurant on Queens Road East in Wan Chai. It's on the second floor outside to the left of the Hopewell Center, next to Cafe de Coral. Have tried the Bun Bo Hue as well as the standard Pho (no "dac biet/bo vien" super tripe/meatball combo available, but they have brisket/slices) and one of the cold pork chop Com dishes there so far. None were outstanding, but all were acceptable, which is honestly way better than I'd expect to find here in HK.

I just checked, and the English reviews on Openrice are all pretty terrible, but I'd give it a shot if you're as desperate to fulfill that Viet food craving as I've been. Let me know what you think, and please keep the information flowing. You guys all sound like you appreciate good Vietnamese food, and I'm 100% open to trying your recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    I like the one in the vietnamese restaurant on Percival in CWB. I think it's called Perfume River or Garden.
    this is as authentic as it gets.

Virago has already given the answer, Kowloon City is the place to go for Thai and Vietnamese food.

I checked out Perfume River, the lady told me they don't make BBH. I was told Pho Saigon across from Sogo makes it. The soup was very salty. Overall, I was not satisfied, I would not recommend going there.

I've also tried Nha Trang in Harbour City, when asked for some shredded cabbage, the waitress laughed at me and charged me an unbelievable... $20 for a small plate of cabbage!!!

Virago - Can you recommend a place in Kowloon City that serves BBH?

Chiggapop and ABC Austin - Indeed, living in CA, we were blessed with Vietnamese restaurants left and right. I used to wait in line 30+mins for BBH at Pho King in Oakland. Definitely one of the best after trying so many up and down CA.

That's odd, I thought I had BBH there but maybe it was just regular Bun Bo...

gillieshk - yeah, it's just the regular Bun Bo.

After going to Kowloon City, I will definitely be heading back there, but not likely for any Southeast Asian cuisine. They have many bakery shops I would love to try.

The area has a relatively decent Thai population, but I would choose Yuen Long over KWC for the variety of Thai restaurants.

As for my journey to find some BBH, I first headed to Pho Le. The restaurant was quite clean and a nice ambiance. The BBH was not what I expected, the soup base was beefy but not rich with any shrimp nor pork flavor. It was not spicy at all. They used the clear rice noodle... the worst type of noodle for soups as it gets soggy quite fast. The beef was the best part as it was soft and tender. Overall, I would not suggest going back there.

The next restaurant in line was Cambo-Pho. Although the BBH was clearly one of the better ones I've had in Hong Kong, they also used the clear rice noodle and there wasn't much shrimp and annatto flavoring. Again, another place with no huyet!!! They did, however, give a plate of cabbage and many pieces of pig feet. I would try their other dishes if I were to ever come back again.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast