Like Tree8Likes

Octopus Rewards

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Octopus Rewards

When registering for octopus rewards, do I need to use real details for HKID and date of birth? I know they need an address to send coupons to, but I am hesitant about giving octopus so much personal information. See their online registration here.

Why is this question specific to Octopus? Presumably you're already given these details to all the utilities, your phone company, your broadband company, and various others?

Fair point. But for utilities I need to provide the details to have an essential service; for octopus rewards, it is not an essential service yet I still need to provide the details. If the purpose of the scheme is only to encourage me to use shops such as Welcome more, then they don't need my date of birth or HKID card number.

If a company wants to make a non-commercial service available on the basis only that you identify yourself to their satisfaction, and they handle the data in accordance with their published privacy policy (which allows them to share it with pretty much anyone they choose by the way), then I don't have any problem with them offering it. It's your choice as to whether you feel giving this information is worth 0.5% back on your expenditure (and/or or the AAVS which also requires this information). For me the AAVS is probably more valuable than the Wellcome cashback.

You'll probably find that the info is used to validate you when you ring up if you lost your card or want to redeem something etc etc .. so if you do lie, you better keep a record that you did and what number you used!

I won't sign up for any scheme like this and it's a bit annoying that supermarket staff always ask you for it.

dear giant likes this.

once you signed up these kinds of scheme, u ended up buying more and more... have u notice that>>>

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marriottboy:
    once you signed up these kinds of scheme, u ended up buying more and more... have u notice that>>>
    No, can't say I have.

The Octopus Card company has admitted selling clients' personal particulars to an insurance company at a special hearing by the Privacy Commissioner, Roderick Woo.
    RTHK News

I wonder what else they have done.
    dear giant likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast