Like Tree2Likes

English experts

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

hey i dont work for hsbc and using hsbc was just an example ;-)

this is used for a private/small association making a press release

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

or "has played"

Speaking of English, do long term native English speaking expats find their level of English has become worse since being in Hong Kong?

I don't find that I make any more mistakes, but I do find that my use of words (particularly when spoken) has become a bit less sophisticated, and, obviously, my speech has become slower and more precise.

It only takes a day or two to get back up to speed when in a native environment though (albeit with added Asian colour: "Aiya!" and stuff like that).

Last edited by PDLM; 16-03-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Speaking of English, do long term native English speaking expats find their level of English has become worse since being in Hong Kong?
    I tend to say La or Wor at the end of sentences when speaking to locals on office communicator etc.

i speak very clearly, not slowly. i am careful with the complexity of the language that i use and i am used to being able to explain one concept in 3 or 4 ways until it is understood.

i have somethings that come out now naturally, "aiya", "ma fan" etc that are not english at all...

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER say "la" "wor" or even the canadian "eh"

Mine has, or at least it's completely stagnated.

Yes - absolutely. What worries me is that I have only been here three and a half years. Goodness knows what it will be like after another five. I end up talking pidgin English to the non-native English speakers in the office. Another gweilo in the office does exactly the same.

We both end up saying things like 'he say, she say, she don't, he don't" etc. It must be awful to listen to.

My parents in UK tell me my accent has slightly changed although I am unaware of it. However, I do now find cut-glass British accents slightly grating on the ear.

Quote Originally Posted by shilo507:
    Yes - absolutely. What worries me is that I have only been here three and a half years. Goodness knows what it will be like after another five. I end up talking pidgin English to the non-native English speakers in the office. Another gweilo in the office does exactly the same.

We both end up saying things like 'he say, she say, she don't, he don't" etc. It must be awful to listen to.

My parents in UK tell me my accent has slightly changed although I am unaware of it. However, I do now find cut-glass British accents slightly grating on the ear.
    I think its partly to do with the poor level of English in HK as it is. Some of the work emails I read from staff internally are just shockingly poor. However it seems I am going down that level as well.

I've also been told my accent has changed.

Jeez .. is this what web 2.0 marketing has come down to?