Chinese New Year Lai See

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

to be honest, it depends on how much you can afford. I usually give 100 dollars for each lai see.

the 13th month salary is usually a guarenteed bonus for local company. if you do not want it, u can donate it to charity, Ashley

So my building has about 6 to 8 security guards total (they obviously work different shifts), and I dont know how many rubbish and cleaning crew there are.

Is $100 for the "head" guard, and $20 or $50 per guard and cleaning crew member normal? This could end up to be about $700 for the building - is that excessive or failry normal for a mid-level building?

Thanks.

jaetee

It is a bit excessive to be honest and not forgetting everybody else in the block is probably going to do the same thing so they'll be loaded!

$50 for the head security guard and $20 for the rest is probably more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    jaetee

It is a bit excessive to be honest and not forgetting everybody else in the block is probably going to do the same thing so they'll be loaded!

$50 for the head security guard and $20 for the rest is probably more than enough.
    Yeah, I am sure they are going to be rich on their $4000 or so a month salaries

For what it's worth, I wouldn't differentiate the head security guards from the others. Anything between HK$20 and HK$100 is fine. Give what you can afford. More if they are helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tsuiwah:
    Yeah, I am sure they are going to be rich on their $4000 or so a month salaries
    I was implying that if everybody in each flat gave them $100 lai see then yes they'd be loaded, Have you seen the number of flats in some of these blocks?

I have a flat in an upmarket development and theres over 200 flats in each block and theres 6 blocks in total, And if each flat owner gave $100 to the guard then yes they will be loaded, You do the math on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    >>

The $100 should be a company expense.
    Boss told me today it comes from my pocket. Oh well, not a lot of money to spend to keep people happy with me.

I dont see all the people who work in my building, since some are overnight staff, etc. Should I just give a bunch of lai see envelopes to the building management and they will distribute??

Also do we include the building manager in our lai see give-outs?

Finally, just found out with all the temp, night and regular staff, we have 25 people - that's a lot more than I thought, and than I have ever seen (I thought it was about half that numbef).

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

some thoughts

Divide your monthly managment fee by 2 and spread that out equally among the building staff that you know.

If you dont know them dont bother

Company Lai See-everyone at my salt mine gets the same -a crisp $50.

Get into the spirit and give regarless of your marriage status- it will be appreciated AND remembered.

On a recent stopover in Columbo I tipped the bellboy HK$50[the smallest I had] for carrying my briefcase to my room . The look on his face was easily worth ten times that.

13th month is so 2003, this year you should be looking for between 14-16 months recompense for your toil.

Not to offer an opinion, just a comment - the management company for our mid-level development sent a letter to all residents requesting them to NOT give Lai See to any staff. Apparently the staff are told not to accept or request them from residents - it is a company affair which is handled internally.

Anyone else seen this kind of thing - our management company is one of the larger ones in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by jaetee:
    I dont see all the people who work in my building, since some are overnight staff, etc. Should I just give a bunch of lai see envelopes to the building management and they will distribute??

Also do we include the building manager in our lai see give-outs?

Finally, just found out with all the temp, night and regular staff, we have 25 people - that's a lot more than I thought, and than I have ever seen (I thought it was about half that numbef).
    Give only to those whom you see and remember. Give them individually in person, so that they know who gives and who to thank. Even a $20 lai see per person will make them thankful for days and take care of you for the rest of the year.

If you don't see the building manager, no need to give him.