Chinese New Year Lai See

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Lai See time!

It's my first year living on my own (used to live with parent, and so she takes care of the lai see to everyone working for the building) so mom told me to prepare lai see (one packet only since i'm single) to security guards (i manage to remember their faces!) and the cleaning lady...

Other than that, I don't have to give lai see to any one at all...

As for the amount, lai see is just a little loaded gesture to greet others with luck during the CNY. $20 is a general amount, $50 to someone you think it's worth a bit more, $100 is almost from someone much senior, and i usually get $500 from my boss.

For couples, you give a pair to that someone only he/she knows both you and your spouse, give 1 otherwise.

N

Do the bills have to be brand new or is it ok to give used bills? This is for my building security guy...
    And if I understand correctly, it's 100 for the main guy and 50 for the others? And do I give something to my part-time cleaning lady who's not chinese? I doubled her weekly pay at Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheroad:
    Do the bills have to be brand new or is it ok to give used bills? This is for my building security guy...
    And if I understand correctly, it's 100 for the main guy and 50 for the others? And do I give something to my part-time cleaning lady who's not chinese? I doubled her weekly pay at Christmas.
    I myself wouldn't do 100, and i'd say it's better to give flat rate, i.e. same amount to all of them if i were you. if you think 20 is too little then 50 for all.

and yes, even you've raised your p/t maid salary to ... i dunno how much you're paying, but it doesn't matter, it's CNY, so it's lai see time! i'd give a maid at least 200 provided you've raised her salary double.

Do the notes have to be Crisp?

Quote Originally Posted by Monde:
    Do the notes have to be Crisp?
    would be more preferable if they were.

The notes should be brand new, preferably, which is why you will see queues at the banks just before CNY with people trying to get new money. My wife always pre-orders it through a friend so no queing for us!

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia1:

Even take-away people would expect lai sees from you. I give them $5 per person.

As for gifts, people whom you know well may give you a Chinese pudding cake before Chinese New Year.
    $5 really?
    come on! should be $20 minimum - what are you Scottish?
    Last edited by angelic; 12-02-2010 at 05:29 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5