Chinese New Year Lai See

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Chinese New Year Lai See

Chinese New Year is just around the corner and I'm hoping some of you veterins could help me with suggested lai see amounts:

-- building security guards/doormen
    -- do you give to management staff as well?
    -- direct reports at the office
    -- other office staff who are single (I am married)
    -- the amah (part time)

anyone else I'm missing?

Also, for those of you working for US-based multinationals, is there anything that the US headquarters could/should do to acknowledge the holiday for Chinese staff? Our US HR dept often looks to me for guidance on this kind of thing.

thanks much in advance!

Generally building guards/management etc do not get anything- the mother company deals with it. Single staff and your Amah should get a litle something.
    Does your head office give Chinese staff US holidays off? I would say that HK based staff get HK holidays- end of story. Anything else is overtime.

Hey Stephen,

I did a quick survey yesterday as I was having the same problem...

Here are the responses - hope they help (a little bit!):

"I usually give HK200-300 to my favorite porter, the day time porter……he is so cute!"

"Amah - I give HK200 lai see"

"It will be good for you to give Lai See to you amah and security guards"

"Married Chinese people will give Lai See to people who are single. My Dad usually gives HK$20 (per Lai See) to his colleagues in his office. He will give more to those in his team. But it's a huge expenses"

"Learn to say "Kung Kay Fat Choy" (wish us to earn more money) in Chinese New Year is enough"

Cheers,
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by stephinpdx:

-- building security guards/doormen - they'd really appreciate a small something, even $20 will make their day
    -- do you give to management staff as well? - management staff should be giving it to you
    -- direct reports at the office - $100 is about the going rate
    -- other office staff who are single (I am married) - $20 or $40 is ok
    -- the amah (part time) - $100 would go down really well
    I work for a US company where even the Western managers make a pretty big deal of giving red packets out. They also send the staff home a bit earlier that week, telling them to be with family which goes down really well.

Lammarite: of course our staff here gets CNY off... HQ is just wondering if they should do anything else... letter from CEO/gift basket, that sort of deal

I presumed so!

A Director friend of mine takes all his staff out for Yum-Cha (sp!?) before the holiday and gives out lai-see packets then (to all his staff- white devils and all!) That goes down well and doesn't cost too much.

Usually it’s the company budget for the GM or Chief xx to give every staff ($20-$100), no matter married or not, a Laisee. Department head would give to ALL you treat as subordinates within department ($50-$200 depends on headcount).
    If you’re married, you may need to give staff from other departments/offices who greet you and obviously come for your Laisee ($20).
    Any others, staff/amah/driver/security guards, depends on your relationship. I even received Laisee from amah and driver of GM, and a colleague in other office sent me document in a inter-company bag attached his Laisee. I think whatever you do with willingness would be fine, it's for good luck you want to share with others.

The security guards all expect lai sees, though not from all tenants.Don't forget the garbage man. No need to give to the building management staff since you don't see them. $20 is the right amount to the average person, staff in your office, friends who have children whom you meet in the streets. Have lai sees in your pocket for the first 14 days in the Chinese New Year.

One year I got $10 lai see for my daughter from my part time maid. Another year I got $20 from another one. So on the safe side I gave $50 to her.

Even take-away people would expect lai sees from you. I give them $5 per person.

As for gifts, people whom you know well may give you a Chinese pudding cake before Chinese New Year.

i'm going to be in HK over CNY, do hotel staff expect this as well?

from what i've read, generally there's no tipping unless you've received exceptional service, but is there some expectation over new year? [i may have read wrong though]

just wondering so i do the right thing..

Hotel staff wouldn't expect this from their guests at all... especially if you don't look Chinese. Might be nice to give them an extra tip once in a while though, seeing as they're working through the most significant of all the local holidays...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast