Like Tree2Likes

Jury Service

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

>> I lived here 18 months before and got called up.

Some might say you're the exception that proves the rule.

If 95% of the people are answering "you'll never get called" then you could have a high degree of confidence in the answer with a sample size of about 50 (assuming the sample to be random amongst the population in question).

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    If 95% of the people are answering "you'll never get called" then you could have a high degree of confidence in the answer with a sample size of about 50 (assuming the sample to be random amongst the population in question).
    And that is clearly an inaccurate assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:

in most western countries, there is always a chance that you could get called up for service, i would still say that the majority of the population has never been called. (before you jump on that, no, i have no evidence to corroborate my assertion.)
    OK - I'll jump on that ...

Both Mr Movingin07 and myself were called at least twice when we lived in Australia; and once each when we lived in the UK; and once when we lived in NZ..... I think they might have alot more jury trials per head of population in those places though!

i think that the usa would probably have a lot more as well.

as far as i know, i've never heard of any of my friends/family in canada being called up for duty.

again, all of what we are ALL saying is anecdotal and no conclusions can be drawn from any of it.

Last edited by carang; 19-03-2010 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eggmonster:
    2) Roughly how long would i have to wait until i get called up to attend the selection.
    Others have answered your Qs there; here's the little I know:

Over a year and a half ago, I got a gov letter asking me to attend jury selection on a particular date & time, fixed for 3 to 4 weeks later (funnily enough, couldn't remember then receiving any notice / letter that my name had been added to their list though, but I wasn't too bothered 'bout it). My employer, having briefly set eyes on the official letter I waved under his nose, didn't fuss 'bout it either. Anyways, turned up for 'the selection' in the Admiralty offices but wasn't picked ...

Several months ago a friend (also OS Chinese) got an advance notice letter that his name was now on their 'list'. But still no call to attend selection yet.

BTW, yonkey yrs ago, just as I was packing me bags to leave the UK for HK, the Brit gov sent me a letter asking me to attend something similar there; in a hurry (i.e. being lazy) I neglected to reply / let them know I was off...
    eggmonster likes this.