Moved to a new apartment & getting killed by the damp smell

Closed Thread

Moved to a new apartment & getting killed by the damp smell

Hi

We have moved to another apartment in Seaview crescent Tung Chung (the earlier one was in Coastal skyline). This one is closer to the sea. So here is what I did (a blunder!)

Afrter moving in, I did not unpack my stuff and went for a 2.5 weeks vacation (the windows were open though). I had to rush so did not thunk about this

Now when we came back, there was this dampness in everything. I have tried washing the bedsheeets, cleaning cupboards, chaging covers etc etc. The damp smell and feeling of dampness is still there. I have tried keeping the window shut but that does not help. Then opening them makes it a little better but every now & then I feel a little soffocation and the carpets, sofa beds seems a little damp & smelly. I dont have the electric dehumidifier but have used the demudifying boxes you get in the super market.

This problem was not there in the previous apartment.
    Furthermore, I dont have a balcony now and use the store room to hang the clohtes for drying (after using the dryer) so I have to keep the window open. There is this flithy smell that comes in (the store room faces the back of ther aparments in the building)

I am getting really fedup of this. Is there any solution to it
    The smell is not only due to dampness but probably lack of ventilation as well.

Thanks!!

You need an electric dehumidifier and to run it with windows closed for a week or two. It takes a while to dry out a place that's got very damp.

Absolutely. Electric deumidifier is the only way to go if you have a damp apartment. I don't know the size of your home, but I'd suggest getting one with a capacity of at least 12 litres / 24 hours; 20 litres even better. Open all the cupboards and drawers before you go out to work, and don't pull up the bed covers in the morning - drape them over a couple of chairs or the shower curtain rail so that the matress & pillows can air too.
    Once you've gotten rid of the residual damp, then keep running the dehumidifier at least while you're out at work to keep the humidity under control. Don't fret about an increased electricity bill - running these machines is cheaper than having to buy new linens, winter clothes, closets, etc. at the end of every spring!
    Electric dehumidifiers also make excellent clothes dryers: just hang all your damp washing in an enclosed space like the bathroom and leave the machine on overnight - even good for things like woollens that can't go in a "real" dryer :-D

My air condition units (split type, building was finished in 2002) have a DRY mode. I don't have anything to measure the humidity though.

I was always wondering if that actually works. Any idea?

In my experience they work, but not as well (and more expensively) than standalone dehumidifiers.